Finding the projection of a line onto a plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
41 replies · 28K views
Physicsissuef said:
I think the Theofilus method is correct, just can't figure the error.

Hi Physicsissuef! :smile:

I'm sure the method is correct … but it's horribly long, so it's not surprising there's a mistake in it, and I've no intention of ploughing through it to find it. :rolleyes:

Don't copy that method … nothing should be that complicated … always go for something simpler, if possible! :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I actually don't understand too much your method. I am sure it is translation problem. Is AB the parallel vector to the line? Is BC the normal vector of the plane?
 
Hi Physicsissuef! :smile:
Physicsissuef said:
I actually don't understand too much your method. I am sure it is translation problem. Is AB the parallel vector to the line? Is BC the normal vector of the plane?

Yes, and CA is the projection.

So what is the angle between BC and CA? And how can CA be expressed as a combination of AB and BC? :smile:
 
The angle between BC and CA is 90 degrees. So
[tex]-b_1+b_2+3b_3=0[/tex]

We need 2 conditions more. I don't know what do you mean by combination?

I think that we can make linear combination of vectors only if they are parallel.
 
Physicsissuef said:
The angle between BC and CA is 90 degrees. So
[tex]-b_1+b_2+3b_3=0[/tex]

We need 2 conditions more. I don't know what do you mean by combination?

I think that we can make linear combination of vectors only if they are parallel.

Combination just means ordinary vector addition.
 
I understand.

AB+BC=AC
(4,3,-2)+(1,-1,3)=AC
(5,2,1)=AC

Now we can make the equation of the line.

But we haven't got the same vector as the result. In the posts above, the parallel vector is (7,4,-1)
 
Last edited:
Isn't mine correct? btw- what is that? Is that vector, where is [tex]\vec{k}[/tex]?
 
Physicsissuef said:
Isn't mine correct? btw- what is that? Is that vector, where is [tex]\vec{k}[/tex]?

If you mean …
Physicsissuef said:
AB+BC=AC
(4,3,-2)+(1,-1,3)=AC
(5,2,1)=AC
… then of course it's correct … but what good is that? … as you say …
But we haven't got the same vector as the result. In the posts above, the parallel vector is (7,4,-1)

If [itex]\vec{v}\,=\,\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j}[/itex] then [itex]\vec{j}\,=\,\left(\frac{\vec{v}\,-\,\cos\theta\vec{i}}{\sin\theta}\right)[/itex]

Alternatively, if you've learned about cross-products …
Hint: what is [tex]\vec{i}\times(\vec{i}\times\vec{v})[/tex] ? :smile:
 
Can we just find AC? What are we now searching for?