1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of plane given two parallel lines?

1. Jul 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equation that contains the lines:
    2x + 3y + 4z = 6, x - 2y + z = 3

and

(2x - 1)/22 = (y + 2)/2 = (1 - z)/3

2. Relevant equations

A plane (in point normal form) is defined by a point on the plane and a vector normal to it.
    In general, the form of A(x - x0) + B(y - y0) + C(z - z0) = 0.

You can use the cross product to determine a normal vector given multiple lines on the plane.

3. The attempt at a solution

Step 1: Convert L1 to parametric form. Take the cross product of <2, 3, 4> and <1, -2, 1>
    and that is the vector <11, 2, -7>. A point that is on both planes forming the line of intersection is (3, 0, 0). Thus L1: x = 3 + 11T, y = 2T, and z = -7T.

Step 2: Convert L2 to parametric form. x = 11T + 0.5, y = 2T -2 and z = 1 - 7T.

Since these lines are indeed parallel, we have to find another line or vector on the plane. Consider vector PQ, where point P (3, 0, 0) is on L1 and point Q (0.5, -2, 1) is on L2. Consequently, PQ is <-3.5, -2, 1>. The normal vector is found by taking the cross product of PQ and L1, and I am having a difficult time obtaining the correct answer, 24x - 13y + 34z = 72.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't get that z.

4. Jul 2, 2013 #3
    Oops, the original problem read (1 - z) / 7, NOT (1 - z) / 3. My mistake!

5. Jul 2, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now check your calculations for PQ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted