1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation relating mass, time, distance, velocity, and force?

Tags:
  1. Feb 29, 2016 #1
    • Posted in wrong forum, so no template
    I need to figure out an equation for the following situation: A force will be applied to an object with a certain mass. When the object has moved a certain distance over a certain time, it will have a certain velocity. I realize I wrote that out like a textbook question, but that's just to make it easier to understand. Believe me, I've done my fair share of googling and I can't seem to find anything which is leading me to believe that this is too many variables in one equation. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2016 #2
    Depending upon the information you have Newton's first two laws / equations of motion can be used to analyse this situation.

4. Feb 29, 2016 #3
    Sorry, forgot to mention that in the initial post. Mass is 5.6664g, initial velocity of 0, final velocity is 100m/s, distance is variable, and time is 0.5s.

5. Feb 29, 2016 #4
    Okay, so you need an equation to relate the mass, velocity, time and force? Is the force constant? How about v=u+at , with a=F/m
    Does that satisfy your query?

6. Feb 29, 2016 #5
    Force is constant, yes. Can I ask what u represents in that equation?

7. Feb 29, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is initial speed.
    Google SUVAT. There are five standard equations for motion in one dimension under constant acceleration. Each involves four of the same five variables (from which the acronym SUVAT is taken). The trick is to figure out which three you know, which you want to find, then pick the equation with those four.
    In your problem, you are given that net force is constant. That tells you the acceleration is constant, so you can use SUVAT.

8. Feb 29, 2016 #7
    You are a lifesaver. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted