Equation relating mass, time, distance, velocity, and force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an equation to relate mass, velocity, time, and force in a situation where a constant force is applied to an object with a certain mass, resulting in a final velocity after a certain distance is covered in a certain amount of time. The expert recommends using the SUVAT equations for motion in one dimension under constant acceleration, and clarifies that the initial speed (u) in the equation v=u+at represents the object's initial velocity.
The Exestentialist
Posted in wrong forum, so no template
I need to figure out an equation for the following situation: A force will be applied to an object with a certain mass. When the object has moved a certain distance over a certain time, it will have a certain velocity. I realize I wrote that out like a textbook question, but that's just to make it easier to understand. Believe me, I've done my fair share of googling and I can't seem to find anything which is leading me to believe that this is too many variables in one equation. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending upon the information you have Newton's first two laws / equations of motion can be used to analyse this situation.

Aniruddha@94 said:
Depending upon the information you have Newton's first two laws / equations of motion can be used to analyse this situation.
Sorry, forgot to mention that in the initial post. Mass is 5.6664g, initial velocity of 0, final velocity is 100m/s, distance is variable, and time is 0.5s.

Okay, so you need an equation to relate the mass, velocity, time and force? Is the force constant? How about v=u+at , with a=F/m
Does that satisfy your query?

Aniruddha@94 said:
Okay, so you need an equation to relate the mass, velocity, time and force? Is the force constant? How about v=u+at , with a=F/m
Does that satisfy your query?
Force is constant, yes. Can I ask what u represents in that equation?

The Exestentialist said:
Force is constant, yes. Can I ask what u represents in that equation?
It is initial speed.
Google SUVAT. There are five standard equations for motion in one dimension under constant acceleration. Each involves four of the same five variables (from which the acronym SUVAT is taken). The trick is to figure out which three you know, which you want to find, then pick the equation with those four.
In your problem, you are given that net force is constant. That tells you the acceleration is constant, so you can use SUVAT.

Likes The Exestentialist
haruspex said:
It is initial speed.
Google SUVAT. There are five standard equations for motion in one dimension under constant acceleration. Each involves four of the same five variables (from which the acronym SUVAT is taken). The trick is to figure out which three you know, which you want to find, then pick the equation with those four.
In your problem, you are given that net force is constant. That tells you the acceleration is constant, so you can use SUVAT.
You are a lifesaver. Thank you.

What is the equation relating mass, time, distance, velocity, and force?

The equation is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the relationship between mass and force?

Mass and force have a direct relationship, meaning that an increase in mass will result in an increase in force, assuming all other variables are constant. This is expressed in the equation F=ma.

How does velocity affect force?

According to the equation F=ma, an increase in velocity will result in an increase in force, assuming all other variables are constant. This is because a change in velocity results in a change in acceleration, which is directly proportional to force.

What is the role of time in the equation relating mass, distance, velocity, and force?

Time is not explicitly included in the equation F=ma. However, it can be indirectly related to force through the concept of impulse, which is the product of force and time. In certain cases, the change in momentum (p=mv) can also be represented by the equation FΔt=Δp.

How does distance influence force?

The distance between two objects does not directly affect the force between them. However, it can impact the amount of time it takes for the force to act, and therefore can indirectly affect the amount of force applied. The longer the distance, the longer the time, resulting in a smaller force being applied. This is represented in the equation FΔt=Δp.