1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations for Accelerated Motion 4

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A motorcycle traveling at 30 m/s comes to a stop over a distance of 150 m. What was the motorcycle's acceleration?

2. Relevant equations
    v^2=vinitial+2aΔx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried plugging in what I know.

0=900+2a*150 m

Then I divided 150 m and 900 by 150:

0=6+2a

This yields an answer of -4. It doesn't seem right, but I can't place why. I think I may have needed to divide the v^2 by 150, but that's 0/150, which wouldn't make sense. Thanks in advance for a reply!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2
    does it?....check your final equation, you have done the rest of it correctly....it should be -ve because of deceleration (retardation), it just shows acceleration acts in direction opposite to its initial velocity

##0=6+2a##
    ##a=-3##

Edit: I think it was a typo, but this is what the equation is v^2=(vinitial)^2+2aΔx.....your calculations are correct except the very end of it.!!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  4. Oct 20, 2013 #3
    Oh! Okay. I made a mistake in the post, I actually thought it was -2 m/s . I see what you did there, I added in my head instead of dividing. The main reason I thought it was wrong didn't have a reason. It just seemed like it should be different because I couldn't place how an acceleration of -2 or -3 would be enough to slow the car, but now that I look again, it makes sense. Thank you for a polite and helpful reply!

5. Oct 20, 2013 #4
    The car?? I meant the motorcycle. Sorry. Blame it on lack of coffee syndrome.

6. Oct 20, 2013 #5
    no problem!!!.........just to make it seem reasonable you can use ##v=v_{0}+a.t##, solving for time gives ##10~seconds##. It doesn't stop immediately, it slowly decelerates therefore time is comparatively large and so is the distance. I hope this makes more sense now!!!!

7. Oct 20, 2013 #6
    I got that, no problem.

8. Oct 20, 2013 #7
    It does! Thanks, you have given some of the nicest replies I have found on here. If you have a moment, maybe you would go to my other Equations for Accelerated Motion problems and check those?

Thanks again!!

9. Oct 20, 2013 #8
    HA! :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted