Equations for Normal Forces at A and B: F_A + F_B = 0d * F_A - b * F_B = 0

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
WesTech
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
upload_2017-1-3_16-38-15.png


1. Homework Statement

This isn't really a problem but an example in an online lecture. I'm trying to understand everything for when I get to harder questions but am having trouble understanding the "d/b" part of the equation.

Homework Equations


How does dividing d by b help solve for the normal forces acting at A and B? I apologize if my question is not phrased well enough.

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Wes,

It's all about balance equations: The thing doesn't move (or keel over, which is also a form of motion), so
  1. the forces balance
  2. the moments balance
If you write down these two balance equations you have two equations for two unknowns (normal force at A and at B).

Do us a favor and write down these two equations and we'll take it from there (if still necessary :smile:)