Equations of motion of a particle over a cylinder+conserved quantities

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
fluidistic
Gold Member
Messages
3,934
Reaction score
286

Homework Statement


I must determine the conserved quantities+the equations of motion (of the trajectory in fact) of a particle over the surface of a cylinder.

Homework Equations


Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange's equations.

The Attempt at a Solution


I've found the Lagrangian of the particle to be [itex]L=\frac{m}{2}(r^2\dot \phi ^2 + \dot z^2)[/itex].
Since the Lagrangian doesn't depend explicitly on [itex]\phi[/itex] nor [itex]z[/itex], the generalized momenta conjugate are conserved (I'm currently having under my eyes Goldstein's book, 1st edition, page 49).
So I can already answer this part of the problem, [itex]P_\phi=k_1[/itex] and [itex]P_z=k_2[/itex].
By intuition I know that the angular momentum is conserved and the speed of the particle along the z axis is constant.
I have a problem however with the Lagrange's equations.
For the generalized coordinate [itex]q=r[/itex] I have that [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot r}=0[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial r}=m r \dot \phi ^2[/itex].
This gives me the first equation of motion, namely [itex]r\dot \phi ^2=0[/itex]. Since [itex]r\neq 0[/itex] (I'm dealing with a cylinder), [itex]\dot \phi =0[/itex].
Similarly, I get for [itex]\phi[/itex]: [itex]\underbrace{2 \dot r \dot \phi}_{=0} + r \ddot \phi =0 \Rightarrow \ddot \phi =0[/itex] which isn't a surprise since I already knew that [itex]\dot \phi=0[/itex].
I also get [itex]\ddot z=0[/itex].
So... the motion equations are [itex]\dot \phi =0[/itex] and [itex]\ddot z=0[/itex]?
I think I made a mistake. If I integrate them I get [itex]\phi = \text{ constant}[/itex] which is obviously wrong.
Hmm I'm confused about what I must do.
Edit: It seems that if I hadn't make any mistake, the motion equations should give me the information I already know: [itex]\dot \phi = constant[/itex] and [itex]\dot z = constant[/itex]. By the way I don't see my mistake for the Lagrange equation regarding [itex]\phi[/itex].
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The particle moves over the surface of a cylinder, so r is not a coordinate, but a constant, the radius of the cylinder. The only coordinates are phi and z. Do not derive with respect to r.
If r were a variable too, you should include the term 1/2 m r(dot) ^2 into the kinetic energy.


ehild
 
is there no gravitational force acting on this particle. And since r is constant you cannot consider it to be one of the D.O.F and you can't derive the equation that gives you 0 angular velocity
 
Thank you very much guys, I wasn't aware I shouldn't have derived 3 equations of motion because one of the generalized coordinates was a constant.
So I'm left with [itex]\ddot \phi = \ddot z =0[/itex] which means that both [itex]\dot \phi[/itex] and [itex]\dot z[/itex] are constants.
I realize that [itex]\dot \phi =0[/itex] means that the angular momentum of the particle with respect to the z-axis is conserved. While the z component of the linear momentum of the particle is also conserved.
Integrating the equations of motion, I reach that of course as you said, [itex]r(t)=K[/itex]. Also [itex]\phi(t)=c_2t+c_4[/itex] and [itex]z(t)=c_1t+c_3[/itex].
Thus, [itex]\vec r (t)= \begin{bmatrix} K\\ c_2t+c_4 \\ c_1t+c_3 \end{bmatrix}[/itex].

Is my answer correct considering they asked for the trajectory?
 
It should be OK if there is no force except the constraints.

ehild
 
Thanks for the confirmation. Problem solved.