1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of motion ( vectors )

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two particles move near the surface of the earth with u. acc 10 m/s^2 towards the ground . At the initial moment , the particles were located at one point in space and moved with velocities 3m/s and 4 m/s in opposite directions . Find the distance between the particles when their velocity vectors are mutually perpendicular .

2. Relevant equations
    s = ut + 1/2 at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

the trajectory of the particles should form a half - ellipse .

That's as far as i got , how should i relate the mutually perpendicular thing ??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No.
    You can work with a homogeneous gravitational field here (same 10m/s^2 downwards everywhere). How do the paths look like? Can you write them as vectors?

4. Jun 6, 2013 #3
    As they have the same origin and are moving in opposite directions , while one's velocity is greater under uniform gravitation , Their paths together should form a half ellipse . :/

5. Jun 6, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

How does the path of the first object look like?
    How does the path of the second object look like?

There is no way to combine them to a part of an ellipse, even if an ellipse can look a bit similar.

6. Jun 6, 2013 #5
    so it will not form an ellipse , how should i solve this ?

7. Jun 6, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

With the hints I gave in my posts?

After time t, what are the horizontal and vertical velocities of the objects?
    What does "orthogonal" mean for vectors?

8. Jun 6, 2013 #7
    Since there is no force in the horizontal direction,velocity changes only in the vertical direction.Assume after some time t they(velocity vectors) subtend some angles(α and β) with the horizontal.Since both the vectors should be perpendicular,derive a relation and solve.

Hope this hepls

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted