Equations of planes and the meaning of the d value

In summary, the question is about finding the equations of planes and the meaning of the "d" value. The standard form of the equation of a plane is ax + by + cz = d, where a, b, and c are the coefficients and d is the "d" value. To determine the value of d, one must find a normal vector to the plane and use it to solve for d using the point (2, 0, 2) as a reference. However, d can be any nonzero number and it is possible to manipulate the equation to get a more convenient answer.
miniradman
equations of planes and the meaning of the "d" value

Homework Statement

Find the equations of the following plane

Through (2, 0, 2), (0, 1, 2) and (2, 1, -1)

Homework Equations

standard form of equation of a plane:
[itex]ax + by + cz = d[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

hello
I'm trying to conceptually understand how to derive the value for "d".

I understand to find the a b and c coefficients you find the vectors which make the outside of the plane, take the cross product of the two to find the normal vector and then using that result. However, in my solutions it tells me that
"since (2; 0; 2) is in the plane d = 10"

But I have no idea on how that works. I've searched online and had answers such as "d is the distance from the origin" which makes sense. But the magnitude of those three points or the coefficients of the plane do not equal to zero. I can't figure out the algorithm to find "d", does anyone know?

Thanks
- miniradman

Physics news on Phys.org
You find a normal vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] to the plane. Given the three points that's the cross product you mention in your posting. Then obviously the vector [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] is on the plane, if and only if
[tex]\vec{n} \cdot (\vec{x}-\vec{x}_0)=0[/tex]
for any fixed vector [itex]\vec{x}_0[/itex] on the plane. You should carefully think about why this is the case. This finally answers the question, how to get the value [itex]d[/itex].

You get the distance of the plane from the origin if you draw a line from the origin perpendicularly to the plane: The distance is the length of that line. See the attachment.
The projection of any vector of the plane on that normal is equal to the distane of the plane from the origin.

The projection of a vector a to a direction n is equal to the scalar product of a with the unit vector no in the direction of n. ##a \cos(\alpha) =\vec a \cdot \vec{n_0}##

So the distance of the plane from the origin is ##d=\vec {OP_0}\cdot\vec {n_0}##

ehild

Attachments

• planeeq.JPG
    planeeq.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 419
miniradman said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

hello

There isn't a value for ##d##. It can be anything. Multiply the equation by a constant and you have a different number on the right side.

I understand to find the a b and c coefficients you find the vectors which make the outside of the plane, take the cross product of the two to find the normal vector and then using that result. However, in my solutions it tells me that

If you have a normal vector <a,b,c> then you know the equation of the plane is ##ax+by+cz=D## for some ##D##. Various values of ##D## give parallel planes. If you plug in a point you know is on the plane, that will give you ##D## for that plane and that normal vector <a,b,c>.

miniradman said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

hello

But I have no idea on how that works. I've searched online and had answers such as "d is the distance from the origin" which makes sense. But the magnitude of those three points or the coefficients of the plane do not equal to zero. I can't figure out the algorithm to find "d", does anyone know?

Thanks
- miniradman

There are two fundamentally different cases: (i) d = 0; and (ii) d ≠ 0.

In case (i) the plane passes through the origin (0,0,0); in case (ii) the plane misses the origin, and in that case, d can be any nonzero number. The reason for this is that you can multiply both sides of the equation by a nonzero number and still have an equivalent equation (that is, the same plane). In other words, if you start with ##ax + by + cz = d## you can multiply by any nonzero number ##k## to get the equivalent equation ##(ka)x + (kb)y + (kc)z = kd##. You could always take d = 1 on the right and then find a, b and c from the resulting three equations. If you don't like the appearance of the final solution, you can get a nicer answer by multiplying through by a convenient constant r and use ##a_{new} = ra, b_{new} = rb, c_{new} = rc, d_{new} = r##.

Don't you all just love it when someone posts a question, gets several helpful replies, and never returns?

What are equations of planes?

An equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a flat surface in three-dimensional space. It is typically written in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients and x, y, and z are variables.

What is the meaning of the d value in an equation of a plane?

The d value, also known as the constant term, represents the distance of the plane from the origin along the direction of the normal vector. It can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the position of the plane in relation to the origin.

What is the normal vector in an equation of a plane?

The normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane and has a magnitude of 1. It is represented by the coefficients A, B, and C in the equation of the plane and determines the orientation of the plane in space.

How can equations of planes be used in real life?

Equations of planes have various applications in real life, such as in 3D graphics and computer animation, engineering and construction, and physics and astronomy. They can be used to determine the position of objects in space, calculate the trajectory of a moving object, and design structures that are stable and balanced.

What is the difference between a plane and a line in 3D space?

A plane is a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions, whereas a line is a one-dimensional object that extends infinitely in two opposite directions. In an equation of a plane, there are three variables (x, y, and z) compared to only one variable (x or y) in an equation of a line.