Equations of state -- Partial derivatives & Expansivity

In summary, to show that the coefficient of volume expansion can be expressed as β= -1÷ρ (∂ρ÷∂T) keeping P (pressure) constant, you can use the equation β= 1/v (∂v÷∂T) while substituting ρ for 1/v and using the chain rule to take the derivative of the outside function times the derivative of the inside. This results in the equation β= ρ(∂v÷∂T) which can be further simplified to find the solution.
Mia_S

Homework Statement

Show that the coefficient of volume expansion can be expressed as

β= -1÷ρ (∂ρ÷∂T) keeping P (pressure) constant
Where rho is the density
T is Temperature

Homework Equations

1/v =ρ
β= 1/v (∂v÷∂T) keeping P (pressure ) constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the original equation (β= 1/v (∂v÷∂T) ) ,substituted ρ for 1/v and got stuck . What should I do next? What's the solution?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mia_S said:
substituted ρ for 1/v and got stuck
"Stuck" where?

Bystander said:
"Stuck" where?
Here, β= ρ(∂v÷∂T)

You're using "ρ = 1/v," so what's the next step?

Likes Mia_S
Bystander said:
You're using "ρ = 1/v," so what's the next step?
I don't know :( ...Should I change the partial derivative to 1/(∂T÷∂v) ?

May I suggest you use the chain rule of derivatives since V=1/rho=(rho)^-1. Take the derivative of the outside function times the derivative of the inside.

Likes Mia_S
If v = 1/ρ, then, in terms of ρ and dρ, dv = ??

Chet

Likes Mia_S
I got it! Thank you :)

1. What is an equation of state?

An equation of state is a mathematical relationship that describes the physical properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. It can also be used to predict the behavior of a system under different conditions.

2. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative that measures how a function changes with respect to one of its variables while keeping all other variables constant. In the context of equations of state, partial derivatives are used to calculate how the properties of a system change with respect to temperature, pressure, or volume.

3. How are partial derivatives used in equations of state?

In equations of state, partial derivatives are used to calculate the expansivity of a system, which describes how its volume changes with respect to temperature or pressure. This information is important for understanding the behavior of a system and predicting its properties under different conditions.

4. What is expansivity?

Expansivity is a measure of how a system's volume changes with respect to temperature or pressure. It is calculated using partial derivatives in equations of state and is an important factor in understanding the behavior of a system and predicting its properties under different conditions.

5. How do equations of state help in the study of thermodynamics?

Equations of state are a fundamental tool in the study of thermodynamics, as they provide a quantitative relationship between the physical properties of a system. This allows scientists to predict the behavior of a system under different conditions and understand important thermodynamic concepts such as heat, work, and energy transfer.