Equations relating changes between rotating and inertial frames

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation that relates acceleration in the inertial frame to acceleration in the rotating frame, which includes terms for rotation vector, cross product, velocity and position vector. The participants also mention how this equation applies to systems like Foucault's pendulum and the Coriolis force, and clarify that the equation V(I) = V(R) + omega X (V(R)) is not applicable. The correct equation for velocity as seen by an observer fixed in the inertial frame is V(I) = V(R) + omega X (r).
bman!!
i understand the reason and steps leading to the equation that relates acceleration in the inertial frame to acceleration in the rotating frame i.e.

a(I) = a(R) + 2(omega)Xv(R) + (omega)X(omega) X r

a(I) = acceleration in inertial frame
a(R) = acceleration in rotating frame
omega = rotation vector
X = cross product
v(R) = velocity in rotating frame

r = position vector

now i understand why this (or a rearrangement thereof) can be applied to a system like focaults pendulum, becuase you have acceleration going on, so obviously you would want to relate the changes between the two frames.

however, everyone remembers the simple problems where you simply use the coriolis term to calculate the direction and magnitude of the coriolis force on something like a moving train (i.e. 500 tonne train moving north at 100kph experiences a coriolis force of something liek 1500N eastwards)

however it struck me, that if the train is moving with constant velocity, then surely the above equation doesn't apply? and surely the equation linking the two vectors a together is simply the very original relation between the two frames for vector that is fixed in the rotating frame namely:

V(I) = V(R) + omega X (V(R))

or is it more subtle than this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your original equation shows that there is a Coriolis acceleration even if v is constant wilth respect to the Earth. That just means a(R)=0.

pam said:
Your original equation shows that there is a Coriolis acceleration even if v is constant wilth respect to the Earth. That just means a(R)=0.

ah i see, that makes sense.

but when would

be applicable? or is it just an intermediary?

bman! said:
but when would

be applicable? or is it just an intermediary?

Never! Look at the units on the right-hand side. The first term has units of velocity, the second, acceleration. The equation you are looking for is

[tex]\mathbf v_I = \mathbf v_R + \mathbf \omega \times \mathbf r[/tex]

So when does this equation apply? Simple: When you want to know the velocity of some object as seen by an observer fixed in the inertial frame.

ah i see now. cheers.

1. What is the difference between a rotating frame and an inertial frame?

A rotating frame is a coordinate system that is attached to a body that is in motion, while an inertial frame is a coordinate system that is not accelerating or rotating. In other words, in an inertial frame, the laws of physics behave as expected, while in a rotating frame, there may be additional forces or effects due to the rotation.

2. How do equations change between rotating and inertial frames?

The equations that relate changes between rotating and inertial frames are known as transformation equations. They involve converting between different coordinate systems and taking into account the effects of rotation. These equations can be quite complex and involve concepts such as angular velocity and rotation matrices.

3. What is the Coriolis effect and how does it relate to rotating and inertial frames?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon that occurs due to the rotation of the Earth. It causes objects to appear to deviate from a straight path when viewed from a rotating frame of reference. In inertial frames, the object would appear to move in a straight line. This effect is important in meteorology, oceanography, and other fields that involve large-scale motion on the Earth's surface.

4. Can equations relating changes between rotating and inertial frames be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the equations can be applied to any type of motion, as long as the motion is observed from both a rotating and an inertial frame. Whether the equations are useful or not depends on the specific situation and the accuracy required. In some cases, simpler approximations may be used instead of the more complex transformation equations.

5. What are some real-life applications of equations relating changes between rotating and inertial frames?

Equations relating changes between rotating and inertial frames are used in various fields, including aerospace engineering, navigation, and robotics. They are also important in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies and the motion of objects on the Earth's surface. In addition, these equations are essential for accurately predicting the behavior of systems that involve rotation, such as gyroscopes and centrifuges.