1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilateral triangle charged rods

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three rods each of uniform charge Q and length a are formed into an equilateral triangle. Given[Q,a,q] determine:
    1. The voltage at the center of the triangle.
    2. If a charge -q is placed at the center of the triangle determine potential energy.
    3. Determine the initial speed of the -q in order that it exits the system and never returns.
    2. Relevant equations

[tex]V = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{dq}{r}[/tex]

[tex]U = Vq[/tex]

[tex]K_0 + U_0 = K + U[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

http://i.imgur.com/7IZ3PbP.png

I take 1 half of bottom rod and intend to integrate for V

[tex]dq = Q \frac{dx}{a}[/tex]
    [tex]r = \sqrt{y^2 + (\frac{a}{2} - x)^2}[/tex]

using the V formula above this integrates(from 0 to a/2) to

[tex]V = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}[\ln{\frac{a+\sqrt{\frac{a^2}{4} + y^2}}{y}}][/tex]

since this is 1/6th of the potential and they are additive, multiply 6 for total v at center

is this correct solution? U is simple enough to do, simply multiply by -q. What is the methodology for solving part 3?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2
    You might simplify things significantly if you express ##y## via ##a##.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3
    [tex]y = \sqrt{\frac{3}{4}} a[/tex]

ln term collapses to
    [tex]ln{\frac{4}{3}}[/tex]

Is this correct? What about part 3? I only know of 1/2mv^2 which I assume was at least greater than potential it would get out.. but I have no m given.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4
    "Never returns" means that it goes infinitely far away, and the velocity "at the infinity" is at least zero.

With this in mind, apply conservation of energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted