Equilibrium applications of Newton's law of motion

In summary, a supertanker with a mass of 1.72 * 10^8 kg and a constant velocity is generating a forward thrust of 5.52 * 10^4 N. The resistive force exerted on the tanker by the water can be calculated by setting the sum of forces equal to mass times acceleration, which is 0 in this case. Therefore, the resistive force is 5.52 * 10^4 N. The upward buoyant force exerted on the tanker by the water can be calculated as the same value of 5.52 * 10^4 N. It can also be calculated using the formula U=mg, where U is the upthrust, m is
pookisantoki
A supertanker with the mass of 1.72 *10^8 kg is moving with a constant velocity. Its engines generate a forward thrust of 5.52*10^4 N. Determine (a) the magnitude of the resistive force exerted on the tanker by the water and (b) the magnitude of the upward buoyant force exerted on the tanker by the water.

I honestly don't know how to do this at all but from the given infor. I thought I could find the sum of forces by M *A but then since it's constant velocity, A would be zero making sume of forces 0. Since it is constant velocity I thought i could use the constant velocity formulas but wasnt sure which one to use since I'm only give mass. I don't even know what kind of force a forward thrust would be considered as... I am so lost please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are lost then let's take it in steps.

The engine produces a thrust (force) of 5.52*104 N (FE)

Let's call the resistive force Ff.

So we know the resultant of these two is ma. Now we have an equation ma=FE-Ff.

But we are told the velocity is constant, which tells you that a=0. So can you get the resistive force now?

THANK YOU! so I solved it 0=5.52 *10^4-x
x=55200
then for part b. The bouyance force is the force that goes up...would be considered same as normal force? and the answer is the same as the mass * g??

pookisantoki said:
THANK YOU! so I solved it 0=5.52 *10^4-x
x=55200
then for part b. The bouyance force is the force that goes up...would be considered same as normal force? and the answer is the same as the mass * g??

I believe that is how it should be done. Although upthrust=weight of fluid displaced = mg =ρVg.

But they didn't give you V=volume of water displaced. So U=mg will work.

1. What is Newton's law of motion?

Newton's law of motion is a fundamental physical law that states an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does Newton's law of motion apply to equilibrium?

In equilibrium, the forces acting on an object are balanced and the object is either at rest or moving with a constant velocity. This is in accordance with Newton's first law of motion.

3. What are some real-world applications of equilibrium and Newton's law of motion?

Equilibrium and Newton's law of motion are used to analyze and design structures such as bridges and buildings. They are also used in engineering to determine the stability and performance of various systems.

4. How does Newton's second law of motion relate to equilibrium?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In equilibrium, the net force is zero, so the acceleration is also zero.

5. Can equilibrium and Newton's law of motion be applied to non-static situations?

Yes, equilibrium and Newton's law of motion can also be applied to dynamic situations, where the forces on an object are constantly changing. In these cases, the forces must still be balanced for the object to maintain a constant velocity.