Equilibrium: Brick on Cylinders

In summary, the above conversation discusses a figure showing a brick supported on two cylinders, with given areas and Young's moduli. The question is to find the fraction of the brick's weight supported by each cylinder, as well as the ratio of the distance from the brick's center of mass to the center lines of the cylinders. The solution involves drawing a free-body diagram and using Newton's rotational second law, as well as finding the fractions of the weight supported by each cylinder.
ArticMage

Homework Statement

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/589/showmepl.gif

The above figure shows a large, uniform brick supported on two cylinders L and R so that it is exactly horizontal. The areas of the two cylinders are related such that AL = 2.1AR. The Young's moduli of the two cylinders area related such that EL = 2.8ER. The two cylinders had exactly the same length before the brick was placed on them.
a)What fraction of the bricks weight is supported by the left cylinder?
b)What fraction of the bricks weight is supported by the right cylinder?
c)What ratio of the distance from the center of mass of the brick to the center lines of the two cylinders?

Homework Equations

F/A=E*dL/L

The Attempt at a Solution

So for a and b I get F1 = 2.8 Er*2.1Ar*dL/L and F2= Er*Ar*dL/L then do F2/F1 or F1/F2 i end up with 1/(2.8*2.1) as everything else cancels. This is the correct answer for part c. So I'm not really sure what's happening here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So for a and b I get F1 = 2.8 Er*2.1Ar*dL/L and F2= Er*Ar*dL/L then do F2/F1 or F1/F2 i end up with 1/(2.8*2.1) as everything else cancels. This is the correct answer for part c. So I'm not really sure what's happening here.

Draw a free-body diagram on the mass and write out Newton's rotational second law. This, plus the expressions you've already found, should be enough to solve the problem.

For the force, you want to find F1/(F1+F2) and F2/(F1+F2), because due to Newton's second law, F1+F2 must be the weight of the block.

What is Equilibrium: Brick on Cylinders?

Equilibrium: Brick on Cylinders is a physics experiment that demonstrates the concept of equilibrium using a brick placed on top of two cylinders.

How does the experiment work?

In this experiment, the brick is placed on top of two cylinders that are positioned close together. The weight of the brick is evenly distributed on both cylinders, causing them to exert equal and opposite forces on each other, resulting in a state of equilibrium.

What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment helps to illustrate the principle of equilibrium, which is a state of balance where all forces acting on an object cancel each other out. This is an important concept in physics and is applicable to many real-world situations.

What factors affect the equilibrium of the brick on cylinders?

The equilibrium of the brick on cylinders is affected by the weight of the brick, the distance between the cylinders, and the surface area of the cylinders in contact with the brick. Any changes to these factors can disrupt the equilibrium and cause the brick to fall.

Can this experiment be modified or expanded upon?

Yes, this experiment can be modified by using different sizes or types of cylinders, or by adding additional bricks or objects on top of the brick. This can help to further explore the concept of equilibrium and its applications in physics.