1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium cylinder and plank on incline

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A horizontal stick of mass m has its left end attached to a free pivot on a plane (inclined at angle θ), while it’s right end rests on a cylinder also of mass m which in turn rests on the plane, as shown. The coefficient of friction between the cylinder and both the stick and the plane is μ

(a) Assuming that the system is at rest, what is the normal force from the plane on the cylinder?

(b) What is the smallest value of μ (in terms of θ) for which the system doesn’t slip anywhere?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

is my free body diagram correct on the attachment. I realize that the Ns and the us are differnt

Attached Files:

• 1.pdf
      1.pdf
      File size:
      5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2

AEM

Your free body diagram looks okay. I'd be a little more careful to make the normal forces and frictional forces perpendicular and locate them at the points of contact between the surfaces. I'd make mgcos(Q) perpendicular to the inclined plane, but then I'm a fussy old professor. I'd show the attachment of the horizontal stick to the pivot at the end of the inclined plane.

I guess you can summarize it by I'd be a little more complete and a little more careful. You cut down on errors that way. (Plus it impresses the person who grades your homework.)

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3

sxr001

Gold Member

I know this is from a few years ago, but can someone explain to me why that bottom friction force is pointed up the plane. It seems strange...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook