1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium heat equation in 2D cylindrical coordinates

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Plate in the shape of the circular halo (inner radius a, outer radius b>a), the inner edge is being kept at a constant temperature [tex]T_0[/tex], and the outer at the temperature given by the function [tex]f(\phi)=T_0\cos(2\phi)[/tex]. Find the equilibrium distribution of the heat everywhere inside the plate.

2. Relevant equations
    Laplace equation:

[tex]\nabla^2 u(r,\phi)=0[/tex]

Boundary conditions:
    [tex]u(a,\phi)=T_0[/tex]
    [tex]u(b,\phi)=T_0\cos(2\phi)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

By separation of variables I get:

[tex]r^2\frac{R''}{R}+r\frac{R'}{R}=-\frac{\Phi''}{\Phi}=\lambda^2[/tex]

For [tex]\lambda\neq 0[/tex] I have 2 DE, one is Euler's DE, and the other the equation of harmonic oscillator. Their solution is:

[tex]R(r)=Ar^\lambda+Br^{-\lambda}[/tex]

[tex]\Phi(\phi)=C\cos(\lambda\phi)+D\sin(\lambda\phi)[/tex]

With the condition of consistency of the azimuthal part:

[tex]\Phi(\phi)=\Phi(\phi+2\pi)[/tex]

I get that [tex]\lambda=m\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex], the [tex]\lambda=0[/tex] gives different solutions.

So my first solution is:

[tex]u_1(r,\phi)=\sum_{m=1}^\infty r^m[A_m\cos(m\phi)+B_m\sin(m\phi)]+\sum_{m=1}^\infty r^{-m}[C_m\cos(m\phi)+D_m\sin(m\phi)][/tex]

For [tex]\lambda=0[/tex] I have these solutions:

[tex]R(r)=C_0\ln(r)+D_0[/tex]

[tex]\Phi(\phi)=A_0\phi+B_0[/tex]

With the condition of consistency I get:

[tex]A_0\phi+B_0=A_0\phi+A_02\pi+B_0\Rightarrow A_0=0[/tex]

So the second solution is: (I have put the constants together)

[tex]u_2(r\phi)=C\ln(r)+D[/tex]

The general solution is the superposition of the two solutions:

[tex]u(r,\phi)=C\ln(r)+D+\sum_{m=1}^\infty r^m[A_m\cos(m\phi)+B_m\sin(m\phi)]+\sum_{m=1}^\infty r^{-m}[C_m\cos(m\phi)+D_m\sin(m\phi)][/tex]

So here is where my problem starts. I know that I'm supposed to use formulas for Fourier summation but in the case of a string that was the more straightforward, for example:

[tex]f(x,0)=\sum_{m=0}^\infty A_m\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{L}x\right)\Big/ \cdot \sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}x\right),\ \int_0^L dx[/tex]

And the integral on the right would give me Kronecker delta which would 'kill' the sum so I would get the [tex]A_n[/tex] from that. But here I don't have this simple way. How should I get the [tex]A_m,\ B_m,\ C_m,\ D_m[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    Use the same procedure for [tex] r=a [/tex] and [tex] r=b [/tex], multiplying your solution by [tex] sin(n\phi) [/tex] and [tex] cos(n\phi) [/tex]. You will get equations for the unknown coefficients.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook