Equilibrium: Mass on an inclined plane held by a string, find the tension

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
Jujubee37
Messages
22
Reaction score
4
Homework Statement
A block of mass M = 6.2 kg is placed on a frictionless inclined plane that makes an angle of 40.4 deg with respect to the horizontal. The block is held in place by a massless string.

magnitude of normal force; 46.2700 N

Enter the magnitude of the tension T in the string.
Relevant Equations
Normally the equation I use is T=MG but in this case it doesn't work and I think it might be because of the angle.
6.2(9.8)=60.8 (incorrect)
46.2cos40.4= 35.2 (incorrect)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jujubee37 said:
Relevant Equations:: Normally the equation I use is T=MG but in this case it doesn't work and I think it might be because of the angle.
That angle is key! Start by drawing yourself a free body diagram of all the forces acting on that block. Hint: Pay close attention to the force components parallel to the incline surface.
 
Doc Al said:
That angle is key! Start by drawing yourself a free body diagram of all the forces acting on that block. Hint: Pay close attention to the force components parallel to the incline surface.
If that is the case, would I used mg sinθ? I'm confused on what equation I should use.
 
Jujubee37 said:
If that is the case, would I used mg sinθ? I'm confused on what equation I should use.
Yes, but try to think more generally about this problem so you can solve all sorts of variations without having to memorize what equation goes where.

What are the parallel and perpendicular components of the gravitational force acting on the block? (Parallel and perpendicular to the incline surface.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS and Jujubee37
Doc Al said:
Yes, but try to think more generally about this problem so you can solve all sorts of variations without having to memorize what equation goes where.

What are the parallel and perpendicular components of the gravitational force acting on the block? (Parallel and perpendicular to the incline surface.)
Yes thank you I have another problem so I will try to work at it your way. thanks x