Equilibrium of a stiff plate on inclined planes

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium of a thin stiff rectangular plate on inclined planes. The plate has a width of L and is assumed to have smooth edges and negligible friction. The angles between the horizontal surface and the inclined surfaces are denoted as α and β. In the case of α+β=90°, a static balance is achieved when the plate is in the shape of a rectangle with L as the diagonal. The conversation then delves into finding a solution for the general case, where the angles do not necessarily add up to 90°. The key concept introduced is that at equilibrium, the center of gravity (G) of the plate is vertically above point O. Using geometry, the height of G above O is found
haruspex said:
Virtual work.
As I had suspected, something tells me that @aang hasn't been taught about virtual work . But I might be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Delta2 said:
As I had suspected, something tells me that @aang hasn't been taught about virtual work . But I might be wrong.
For this question at least, it doesn’t seem to me it is something that needs to have been taught. Isn't it evident that if even the slightest displacement of the plate (in some direction) lowers its mass centre then it is not at equilibrium?

haruspex said:
For this question at least, it doesn’t seem to me it is something that needs to have been taught. Isn't it evident that if even the slightest displacement of the plate (in some direction) lowers its mass centre then it is not at equilibrium?
No that doesn't seem so obvious to me but that's my subjective view, most people might find it obvious, I can't tell.

Delta2 said:
No that doesn't seem so obvious to me but that's my subjective view, most people might find it obvious, I can't tell.
Think of it this way... suppose the least displacement to the right lowers the mass centre and so, the derivative being smooth, the least displacement to the left raises the mass centre. So displacing to the left does work, and it can only do that by opposing a force. So there must be a net force on the object to the right.
That is the essence of the principle of virtual work.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
H wrt THETA=L/2*COSθ
IS IT CORRECT.
ARE WE NEAR THE SOLUTION

aang said:
H wrt THETA=L/2*COSθ
IS IT CORRECT.
ARE WE NEAR THE SOLUTION
No, that is incorrect, and there is still a way to go.
As theta varies, x and y change. So these are functions of theta, and when you differentiate an expression containing them you get terms like ##\frac{dx}{d\theta}##. For simplicity, write these as x', y'.

H wrt THETA=L/2*COSθ+SINβ* x'

aang said:
H wrt THETA=L/2*COSθ+SINβ* x'
Right. And since we want the extremum of H that derivative is zero.
So this has introduced another unknown, x'. What you need to do next is to obtain other equations with x' and maybe y'. You can get those by differentiating the other equations you have.

I have not seen the thread carefully perhaps somebody has already proposed to consider the potential energy's critical points

LCOSθ=x'*SINα-y'*SINβ
-LSINθ=x'*COSα-y'*COSβ
HOW MUCH FURTHER.

aang said:
LCOSθ=x'*SINα-y'*SINβ
-LSINθ=x'*COSα-y'*COSβ
HOW MUCH FURTHER.
You have a sign error in the second equation.

It seems to me that this problem is beyond your level. I am having to lead you every step. Repeatedly asking how much further doesn't fill me with confidence either.
Was this given to you as homework or is it something you found for yourself somewhere?