Equilibrium of Charges using Coloumbs Law

In summary: R_1e+1.12m)^2=k*R_2eAs far as where the electron is it would be in the third quadrant along a straight line with the other two point charges I know it will have to be close to the negative point charge to balance out the great attractive force of the positive point charge. Thanks for your Input.
gc33550

Homework Statement

A point charge of -0.5 C is located at the origin. A second point charge of 12 C is at x = 1 m, y = 0.5 m. Find the x and y coordinates of the position at which an electron would be in equilibrium.

Homework Equations

F=k*((q_1*q_2)/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I will have to find the two forces that the point charges will have on the electron at some arbitrary point that we will eventually solve for. We then set those two forces equal to each other and then solve for the distance. Once we have the distance we can easily solve for the components using simple trig... I must be having a problem setting up my equations any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by showing what you have done so far. Your strategy is OK, can you do what you said you should do and write some equations down? Also drawing a picture with where you think the electron might be located should help.

gc33550 said:
I know that I will have to find the two forces that the point charges will have on the electron at some arbitrary point that we will eventually solve for. We then set those two forces equal to each other and then solve for the distance. Once we have the distance we can easily solve for the components using simple trig... I must be having a problem setting up my equations any help?

Hi gc33550! :smile:

I'm not sure whether you've noticed that this is a one-dimensional problem …

then just use the usual 1/r2 formula, using a different r for each charge, of course. :wink:

kuruman said:
Start by showing what you have done so far. Your strategy is OK, can you do what you said you should do and write some equations down? Also drawing a picture with where you think the electron might be located should help.

tiny-tim said:

I'm not sure whether you've noticed that this is a one-dimensional problem …

then just use the usual 1/r2 formula, using a different r for each charge, of course. :wink:

Thanks for your Input. Yes I realize it is one dimensional so hear is what I have so far:
(I will define 1 as the negative charge and 2 as the positive and e will be the electron)

F_1e=k*((-.5muC*e)/R_1e^2)
F_2e=k*((12muC*e)/R_2e^2)

to find equilibrium:

F_1e= F_2e

I am then left with:

((-.5muC)/R_1e^2)=((12muC)/R_2e^2)

I know the distance of R1 to R2 because of trig. So then R_2e=(R_1e+1.12m)
As far as where the electron is it would be in the third quadrant along a straight line with the other two point charges I know it will have to be close to the negative point charge to balance out the great attractive force of the positive point charge.
Once again thanks to both of you.

(have a mu: µ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
gc33550 said:
((-.5muC)/R_1e^2)=((12muC)/R_2e^2)

I know the distance of R1 to R2 because of trig. So then R_2e=(R_1e+1.12m)

(your equations are almost unreadable, but I think I follow that bit :redface: …)

ok, now substitute for R2 in the first equation, put everything on top, and you have a quadratic equation in R1 :smile:

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How is Coulomb's Law used to calculate the force between charges?

To calculate the force between two charges using Coulomb's Law, we use the equation F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What is the principle of equilibrium of charges?

The principle of equilibrium of charges states that when two or more charged objects are in a system, the net charge of the system must be zero for it to be in a state of equilibrium. This means that the total positive charge must be equal to the total negative charge.

How can we use Coulomb's Law to determine the equilibrium of charges in a system?

To determine the equilibrium of charges in a system, we can use Coulomb's Law to calculate the forces between all the charged objects in the system. If the net force on each object is zero, then the system is in equilibrium and the charges are distributed in a way that satisfies the principle of equilibrium of charges.

What factors affect the equilibrium of charges in a system?

The equilibrium of charges in a system is affected by the magnitude and sign of the charges, as well as the distance between them. If the charges are of equal magnitude and opposite signs, the system is more likely to be in equilibrium. However, if the charges are of the same sign, the system will be less likely to be in equilibrium. The distance between charges also plays a role, as the force between charges decreases as the distance between them increases.