Equilibrium of three suspended blocks

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension forces in ropes leading from blocks B and C to point A, in order to calculate the sum of forces in the X and Y directions. After some initial incorrect calculations, it was determined that the tension in the ropes is equal to the weight of the blocks, with rope AB having a tension of 200lb and rope AC having a tension of 100lb. The next step would be to find the sum of forces in X and Y and solve for the unknowns.
Phys121VIU

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/45009287.png/

The problem(s) are shown in the link, but I'm having trouble getting them started.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For 3-12:

I think what I need to do is find the tension force in the ropes leading from each block to point A. Then with those forces I find the Sum of the forces in X and Y

From there i think i know what to do, its just that i don't know how to find the force in each rope!

My attempt:

For block B, the force in the the rope to point A is sin∅/200lb. For block C, the force in the rope to point a is sin(30)/100 =50lb .

Is this correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phys121VIU said:
For block B, the force in the the rope to point A is sin∅/200lb. For block C, the force in the rope to point a is sin(30)/100 =50lb .

Is this correct so far?
No. First things first. What's the tension in the rope connecting to B and the rope connecting to C? Hint: No calculation is required. (Consider the forces on B and C.) Then you can worry about the force components acting on point A.

Careful how you write things: don't confuse sin(30)/100 with 100*sin(30).

Doc Al said:
What's the tension in the rope connecting to B and the rope connecting to C?

I got it figured out, I was definitely over thinking it.

The tension in the ropes are equal to the weight of the blocks, so rope AB is 200lb and AC is 100lb.

Then I find the Sum of forces for X and Y and solve for the unknowns!

Thanks!

1. What is the concept of equilibrium in three suspended blocks?

Equilibrium in three suspended blocks refers to a state where the three blocks are at rest and there is no net force acting on them. This means that the forces acting on each block are balanced and there is no movement or acceleration in any direction.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in three suspended blocks?

Equilibrium in three suspended blocks is achieved when the forces acting on each block are balanced. This can be achieved by adjusting the position and/or mass of each block until the net force on each block is zero.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium of three suspended blocks?

The equilibrium of three suspended blocks is affected by the position and mass of each block, as well as the strength and direction of the forces acting on each block. Any changes in these factors can disrupt the equilibrium and cause the blocks to move.

4. How does the center of mass play a role in the equilibrium of three suspended blocks?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is concentrated. In the case of three suspended blocks, the center of mass must be directly below the point of suspension in order for the blocks to be in equilibrium. If the center of mass is not aligned with the point of suspension, the blocks will be unbalanced and will move.

5. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium in three suspended blocks?

Some real-life examples of equilibrium in three suspended blocks include a mobile hanging above a baby's crib, a chandelier hanging from the ceiling, and a weightlifting bar with equal weights on each side. In each of these examples, the forces acting on the suspended objects are balanced, resulting in a state of equilibrium.