Statics: pushing a block up a wall w/ friction

In summary: Ntop is normal force of top blockSum of forces in X: -.25Ntop + Nright =0Sum of torques about A: -.075P - (0.225)(98.1) + (0.225)(.25)(Nright) + (0.325)(Nright)=0counterclockwise is positive
SoylentBlue

Homework Statement

They ask for the smallest force P to apply if neither block is to slip. Coeff. of friction given as 0.25.
The 20KG block is 196N; the 10KG block is 98.1N
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

If we start at the 10KG block:

Sum of forces x: N + cos26.6P – (cos55.33)(N of 20KG block)

Sum of forces y: -98.1 –sin26.6P + 0.25N + (sin55.3)(N of 20KG block)

So, P pushes the 10KG block away from the wall, and N pushes the block away from the wall; and therefore we need a corresponding force in the x direction to pull it back toward the wall. That force must come from the 20KG block, which is a function of its normal force (multiplied by mu, which we know).
How do we find that?
Well, for the bigger block:
Sum of forces in y: -196.2 + N - (sin55.3)(98.1)-cos16.7P
We have to add in the downward pull of the smaller block (as a function of its geometry) here, right?

Stuck here. Too many variables: Two values of N (one for each block) plus P.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :^)

Attachments

• Prob822geom2.jpg
    Prob822geom2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 420
  • Prob822geom.jpg
    Prob822geom.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 419
  • Prob822.jpg
    Prob822.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
You should start by drawing some FBD diagrams.

I would find the force of tension applied by the rods. The force in the vertical direction could be found, I believe, by finding the force of gravity and friction on the 10 kg block. Knowing that force should help you with the problem. I solved the problem using that method and it seemed to work out.

CWatters said:
You should start by drawing some FBD diagrams.
OK, here's my FBDs.
I wasn't sure how to handle the influence of the 10KG block on the 20KG block. From the point of view of the 20KG block, the 10KG block is pulling it down and to the right. But aren't both these forces also a function of the friction the smaller block feels, since it is dragging against the wall?

Attachments

• Prob822FBD.jpg
    Prob822FBD.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 406
I think you will find it easier if you make THREE free body diagrams where the third one is point B.

OK, here's my FBD about point B.
From B's point of view, the 10KG is pulling it to the right and down slightly. The downward pull is offset by mu times its N.
From B's point of view, the 20KG block is pulling it up and to the left slightly. The leftward pull is offset by mu times its N.
And we have force P pulling straight down.

Is my logic correct?
prob822FBDaboutB.jpg

SoylentBlue said:
OK, here's my FBD about point B.
From B's point of view, the 10KG is pulling it to the right and down slightly. The downward pull is offset by mu times its N.
From B's point of view, the 20KG block is pulling it up and to the left slightly. The leftward pull is offset by mu times its N.
And we have force P pulling straight down.

Is my logic correct?View attachment 206673

I wouldn't approach the problem this way. You should make an FBD of the system as a whole, that way you won't have to deal with the internal forces of each of the 4 rigid bodies.

This FBD would consist of: the P force, the weights of both blocks, the 2 normal forces and the 2 friction forces (mu * Corresponding normal force)
Now all you have to do is: sum of forces in the x and y directions and sum of torques at points A or C.

devTr4P said:
I wouldn't approach the problem this way. You should make an FBD of the system as a whole, that way you won't have to deal with the internal forces of each of the 4 rigid bodies.

This FBD would consist of: the P force, the weights of both blocks, the 2 normal forces and the 2 friction forces (mu * Corresponding normal force)
Now all you have to do is: sum of forces in the x and y directions and sum of torques at points A or C.
OK, that makes sense. I am embarrassed to admit I overlooked torques. So here we go:

Sum of forces in Y: -P -196.2 - 98.1 + Ntop + .25Nright = 0
notation: Ntop is normal force of top block
Sum of forces in X: -.25Ntop + Nright =0
Cool! We immediately know a relationship between the 2 normal forces
Sum of torques about A: -.075P - (0.225)(98.1) + (0.225)(.25)(Nright) + (0.325)(Nright)=0

counterclockwise is positive

For torques, P, is counterclockwise, the 10KG wt. is counterclockwise; these are balanced by clockwise friction and Nright

Is my logic correct? I wasn't sure if I should include the Nright in the torque calculation.
Three equations, 3 unknowns; should be solvable, right?

SoylentBlue said:
OK, that makes sense. I am embarrassed to admit I overlooked torques. So here we go:

Sum of forces in Y: -P -196.2 - 98.1 + Ntop + .25Nright = 0
notation: Ntop is normal force of top block
Sum of forces in X: -.25Ntop + Nright =0
Cool! We immediately know a relationship between the 2 normal forces
Sum of torques about A: -.075P - (0.225)(98.1) + (0.225)(.25)(Nright) + (0.325)(Nright)=0

counterclockwise is positive

For torques, P, is counterclockwise, the 10KG wt. is counterclockwise; these are balanced by clockwise friction and Nright

Is my logic correct? I wasn't sure if I should include the Nright in the torque calculation.
Three equations, 3 unknowns; should be solvable, right?
Your logic is correct, now just do the math and solve for P.

devTr4P said:
Your logic is correct, now just do the math and solve for P.
OK, here comes the math.

-P -294.3 + Ntop + 0.25Nright=0
We know that Ntop=4Nright, so we can immediately substitute, giving us:
-P -294.3 + 4.25Nright Let's call this eqn 1

The torque eqn is:
-0.075P-22.07+0.056Nright+.325Nright=0
-0.075P-22.07+0.381Nright=0 Let's call this eqn 2

Let's multiply eqn 2 by (-11.15), giving us:
0.83P + 246 -4.25Nright

We add this to eqn 1; the Nright values cancel, leaving us:
-0.17P -48.3=0
P= -284

Hmmmm...a negative value of P?
The book's answer is 371, although it does not specify direction.
Did I make a math or logic error here somewhere?

1. What is statics and why is it important in understanding the forces acting on a block pushed up a wall?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in constant motion. It helps us understand the equilibrium of forces acting on a block pushed up a wall, which is crucial in determining if the block will stay in place or slide down due to friction.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a block being pushed up a wall?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact. In the case of a block being pushed up a wall, friction acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, making it harder to move the block. Friction also plays a role in keeping the block in place once it has reached equilibrium.

3. What factors influence the amount of friction between the block and the wall?

The amount of friction between the block and the wall depends on several factors such as the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the block, and the normal force (force perpendicular to the surface) applied by the wall on the block. The type of material and the presence of lubricants also affect the amount of friction.

4. How can we calculate the force required to push a block up a wall with friction?

The force required to push a block up a wall with friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force required, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction can be determined based on the materials in contact and the normal force can be calculated using the weight of the block and the angle of the wall.

5. What happens if the applied force is greater than the force of friction?

If the applied force is greater than the force of friction, the block will move up the wall. However, as the block moves, the coefficient of friction may change due to changes in the surfaces in contact and the normal force. This can cause the block to accelerate or slow down, depending on the direction and magnitude of the applied force.