1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium Partial Pressure Kp/Kc Question

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At 100 o C Kc=.078 for the reaction SO2Cl2<-->SO2 + Cl2. In an equilibrium mixture the [SO2CL2]=.0108 M and [SO2]=.052 M.

What is the partial pressure of Cl2 in the eq. mixture?

2. Relevant equations
    Kp=Kc(RT)[itex]\Delta[/itex]n
    P=RT/V

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solve for Kp but I don't know how to find the partial pressure since neither the total pressure nor the volume is given.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Pressure can't be a function of the volume, which suggests in the end it will cancel out. Would it help to assume 1L total volume?

4. Dec 10, 2012 #3
    I tried that, here's the work:
    P=RT=(.0821)(373)=30.6233 atm

Moles is M*L so all of the moles equal the concentration. Total number of moles is .0108+.052+.0162 (moles of Cl2)=.079 total moles. So the pCl2= .0162/.079*30.6233=6.27 atm.

The book says 5 atm so where am I going wrong?

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4

Borek

List assumptions used to calculate this number.

But I don't see how the final answer can be 5 atm. Are you sure you have not missed a decimal point?

6. Dec 10, 2012 #5
    I used the ideal gas law, PV=nRT rearranged to solve for P. (I did this in another problem in the same set to get overall pressure). I just set the volume as 1 L.

I checked all the numbers and the answer in the book and everything seems correct. :S

7. Dec 10, 2012 #6

Borek

P=nRT/V, what have you used for n?

8. Dec 10, 2012 #7
    Thanks for the help, I did indeed misplace a decimal xD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook