1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium problem and a beam of mass

1. May 17, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Equilibrium problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform beam of mass 76 kg and length 3 m rests on two pivots, one at the left edge and one 2.4 m from the left edge. How far to the right of the right pivot can a mass of 150 kg be placed without the beam tipping?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

net forces in y direction, Fy : F1(pivot on egde) - Fg(weight of board) +F1(2nd pivot) - mg

Sum of torque(im torquing around the rigt piovt): F1(2.4m) - Fg(.9m) -mg(x)

the problem im having is that i have two unknown forces from the pivots, and when i solve for one of the forces, the results cancel out and x = 0, i dont what i am supposed to assume?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

F1 and mg would both cause clockwise rotation, so they should have the same sign.

4. May 17, 2008 #3
    which F1 are you talking about? and which mg?

5. May 17, 2008 #4
    Try three equations - three unknowns system (x, normal force one, normal force two)

You can pick first torque center at N1/N2, second at 150g mass .. and this give 2 eqns ..

and third is simply adding all forces ...

F1(pivot on egde) - Fg(weight of board) +F1(2nd pivot) "+" mg .. i think as said by chi meson

6. May 17, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He meant the ones in your torque equation.

7. May 17, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is F1 (on the left edge pivot) when the 150 kg is placed right at the tipping point?

8. May 18, 2008 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One step further, is F1 needed at all?

9. May 18, 2008 #8
    i got it, thanks for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?