Equilibrium problem and a beam of mass

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance to the right of the right pivot where a mass of 150 kg can be placed without the beam tipping. Three equations are used to solve for three unknown variables - the distance (x), and two normal forces (F1 and F2) from the two pivots. The first two equations involve torque and the third equation involves the sum of all forces. After solving, it is determined that F1 is not needed in the final solution.
Oomair
[SOLVED] Equilibrium problem

Homework Statement

A uniform beam of mass 76 kg and length 3 m rests on two pivots, one at the left edge and one 2.4 m from the left edge. How far to the right of the right pivot can a mass of 150 kg be placed without the beam tipping?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

net forces in y direction, Fy : F1(pivot on egde) - Fg(weight of board) +F1(2nd pivot) - mg

Sum of torque(im torquing around the rigt piovt): F1(2.4m) - Fg(.9m) -mg(x)

the problem I am having is that i have two unknown forces from the pivots, and when i solve for one of the forces, the results cancel out and x = 0, i don't what i am supposed to assume?

Physics news on Phys.org
F1 and mg would both cause clockwise rotation, so they should have the same sign.

which F1 are you talking about? and which mg?

Try three equations - three unknowns system (x, normal force one, normal force two)

You can pick first torque center at N1/N2, second at 150g mass .. and this give 2 eqns ..

and third is simply adding all forces ...

F1(pivot on egde) - Fg(weight of board) +F1(2nd pivot) "+" mg .. i think as said by chi meson

Oomair said:
which F1 are you talking about? and which mg?

He meant the ones in your torque equation.

What is F1 (on the left edge pivot) when the 150 kg is placed right at the tipping point?

Redbelly98 said:
What is F1 (on the left edge pivot) when the 150 kg is placed right at the tipping point?

One step further, is F1 needed at all?

i got it, thanks for the help

What is an equilibrium problem?

An equilibrium problem refers to the state of a system where all the forces acting on it are balanced, resulting in no net movement or acceleration.

What is a beam of mass?

A beam of mass is a physical object or structure that is designed to support loads and resist bending or deformation. It typically has a long, narrow shape and is often made of a sturdy material like steel or wood.

How is equilibrium achieved in a beam of mass?

To achieve equilibrium in a beam of mass, the sum of all the forces acting on the beam must be equal to zero. This means that the forces pushing or pulling on the beam must be balanced and there should be no net force causing the beam to move or deform.

What factors affect the equilibrium of a beam of mass?

The equilibrium of a beam of mass is affected by several factors, including the weight of the beam itself, the weight of any loads or objects placed on the beam, and the distribution of these loads along the length of the beam. The material and design of the beam can also play a role in its equilibrium.

Why is understanding equilibrium important in studying beams of mass?

Understanding equilibrium is important in studying beams of mass because it allows us to predict how the beam will behave under different loads and conditions. It also helps us design and construct beams that are safe and structurally sound. Without considering equilibrium, a beam could potentially collapse or fail under the weight of its load.