1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and static equilibrium beam with weights

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The answer is to be given in terms of L and w. The picture shows a beam of weight w and various blocks on it also each of weight w. It also shows the gravitational force acting downward on the center of gravity of the beam. The beam rests on a triangular pivot point.

2 blocks of weight w are stacked and sit 2L to the left of the pivot. 1 block sits 1L to the right of the pivot. The center of gravity force is also shown at 1L to the right of the pivot. Another block sits at 3 to the right of the pivot. I am to state why the beam is or is not in equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer key shows that it is in equilibrium. I don’t understand why it is. To me it seems that the spot that has the center of gravity will actually have a force of 2w at the center of gravity-one for the block and one for the beam. This gives -3wL + -2wL +4wL or a net torque of 1wL in the clockwise direction. Where am I thinking incorrectly about this? (I have only a small hope that I am right and the answer key is wrong).

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why haven't you written the equations of static equilibrium to determine whether the beam is in equilibrium or not?

4. Nov 1, 2014 #3
    I thought that is what this is: -3wL + -2wL +4wL=-1wL and since it isn't zero, it isn't in equilibrium.

5. Nov 1, 2014 #4
    My EE degree son is home for the weekend and he thinks that I am right and the key is wrong. If you disagree please post.

6. Nov 1, 2014 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Assuming I understand your description of the problem, you are correct and the answer key is wrong.

7. Nov 1, 2014 #6
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted