Equilibrium Temperature of water in cup

In summary, when adding an ice cube to a hot cup of water, the cup and its contents reach equilibrium at a temperature of 6.64 degrees Celsius.
Rayvin

Homework Statement

A 37 g ice cube at 0.0°C is added to 110 g of water in a 62 g iron cup. The cup and the water have an initial temperature of 40°C.
(a) Find the equilibrium temperature of the cup and its contents.

Homework Equations

I think a relevant equation is (m Lsubf) + (mc delta T) + (mc delta T)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost, I started out (.110kg)(4.186 j/ kg c) (T-40) + (.037)(2090 j/ kg c)(T-0) + (.062) (448 j/kg c) (T-40) , I think I have most the units correct, I just don't know the correct equation for the problem or maybe what to do with all the units. Help please, am I using the correct equation? am I missing units? What is L sub f ?

I added the like units and mutiplied them then divided by T value to get T:
(.209kg)(2542.186 j/kg c)/80 and got T= 6.64 C. This came up as incorrect and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I did wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation looks right:

(.110kg)(4.186 j/ kg c) (T-40) + (.037)(2090 j/ kg c)(T-0) + (.062) (448 j/kg c) (T-40)

= 0

solve for T.

I added the like units and mutiplied them then divided by T value to get T:
(.209kg)(2542.186 j/kg c)/80 and got T= 6.64 C. This came up as incorrect and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I did wrong?

Rayvin said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost, I started out (.110kg)(4.186 j/ kg c) (T-40) + (.037)(2090 j/ kg c)(T-0) + (.062) (448 j/kg c) (T-40) ,

I think you have converted some of your heat capacities and not others: iron would be 448 j/kg c, but then water must be 4186 j/kg c .

I take it that the 2090 j/kg c is what you are using for the latent heat of fusion (or melting of ice). The process of melting the ice is a phase transition which occurs at constant temperature 0 C, so there shouldn't be any temperature factor there. But also, the latent heat should be 334,000 j/kg , no, since it's 80 cal/gm? (You don't need a warming term for the ice, since its initial temperature is given as 0 C.)

You are also missing a term: the 37 g of meltwater from the ice will be warming up from 0 C, so you need a (.037)(4186 j/kg)(T - 0) to account for that.

If you set up the calorimetry equation with all the terms on one side, don't forget that the ice is warming up, but the water and iron cup are *cooling down*. The temperaure change factors would have to be written as (T final - T initial).

You'll need to rewrite your equation in this light and try solving it again.

1. What is the equilibrium temperature of water in a cup?

The equilibrium temperature of water in a cup is the temperature at which the water reaches a state of balance, meaning that the rate of energy being absorbed by the water from its surroundings is equal to the rate of energy being released by the water. This typically occurs when the water and its surroundings are at the same temperature.

2. How is the equilibrium temperature of water in a cup determined?

The equilibrium temperature of water in a cup can be determined through a process called thermal equilibrium. This involves placing the cup of water in a temperature-controlled environment and measuring the temperature of the water at different intervals until it reaches a stable temperature. This stable temperature is the equilibrium temperature of the water in the cup.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium temperature of water in a cup?

The equilibrium temperature of water in a cup can be affected by a variety of factors, including the initial temperature of the water, the temperature of the surroundings, the material and thickness of the cup, and any external heat sources such as sunlight or a heating element.

4. Why is the equilibrium temperature of water in a cup important?

The equilibrium temperature of water in a cup is important because it can affect the taste and quality of the water. If the water is too hot or too cold, it may not be enjoyable to drink. Additionally, understanding the equilibrium temperature can be useful in various scientific experiments and processes.

5. Can the equilibrium temperature of water in a cup be altered?

Yes, the equilibrium temperature of water in a cup can be altered by changing any of the factors that can affect it, such as the initial temperature of the water or the temperature of the surroundings. Additionally, external heat sources such as a stove or microwave can also alter the equilibrium temperature of the water in a cup.