Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence of Databases (Notion of)?

1. May 31, 2015 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    Say we have two databases D1, D2, with the same number of entities and with equal functionality diagrams
    (i.e., the functional dependence graphs are graph-isomorphic). Is there a notion in database under which D1, D2 are considered to be "the same" database , or some term equivalent to the same, as in the term "isomorphic" in Mathematics?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2015 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean the "same" schemas, just a different data set? AFAIK there is no really analogous term in relational db theory to isomorphic. And if such a thing existed it would not convey very much meaning. Data in a db changes its functionality due to different requirements for data reporting, for example. We have differing indexes and code hints (for SQL queries in db's with identical schema owners), but because of use patterns (indexes, etc.) are actually different. If this were not true DBA's would be out of work. OR have a lot less to do at any rate.

4. Jun 1, 2015 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, DH. But isomorphisms most often refer to the preservation of part of the structure, and not all of its aspects, i.e., we can have the Reals be isomorphic to some other set as a group, field, as an ordered field, etc. So I guess the isomorphism here would (it it was defined) preserve the schema, though not necessarily the contents or the semantic aspect. And , is there a way of comparing the semantics/content of different dbs?

5. Jun 2, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Um, that was jim mcnamara who replied, not D H.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook