Equivalence Principal, Acceleration, Curved Space

In summary: But I think it's always important to keep in mind that the metric is an intrinsic property of the space(-time) itself."In summary, the Equivalence Principal states that the effects of Gravity and Acceleration are locally indistinguishable. This means that an uniformly accelerated frame is equivalent to an uniform gravitational field, and the effects of gravity can also be observed in an accelerating frame. The Flamm Paraboloid, which represents spatial curvature, does not accurately describe the curvature caused by a uniform gravitational field. The metric of a space-time in an uniformly accelerating frame is the Rindler coordinates, which do not have intrinsic curvature but differ from a standard Minkowski space-time. Gravitational time dilation, which is often associated with gravity,
Widdekind
According to the Equivalence Principal, the effects of Gravity are locally indistinguishable from those of Acceleration.

QUESTION: Since Gravity curves Space, a la the Flamm Paraboloid, does acceleration do the same ?

Acceleration does impose a comparable Time Dilation effect, from the bottom to the top of the typical proverbial "elevator" ...

Attachments

• AccelerationCurvesSpace_Grav.jpg
    AccelerationCurvesSpace_Grav.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 456
  • AccelerationCurvesSpace_Accel.jpg
    AccelerationCurvesSpace_Accel.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Widdekind said:
According to the Equivalence Principal, the effects of Gravity are locally indistinguishable from those of Acceleration.
"Locally" is the keyword here. An uniformly accelerated frame is equivalent to an uniform gravitational field.
Widdekind said:
QUESTION: Since Gravity curves Space, a la the Flamm Paraboloid, does acceleration do the same ?
Flamm's Paraboloid represents the purely spatial (nor space-time) curvature of the Schwarzschild metric, which is not the metric of an uniform gravitational field. The space-time metric in an uniformly accelerating frame and also in an uniform gravitational field is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rindler_coordinates" . I think this space-time doesn't have intrinsic curvature, but is still different from a standard Minkowski space-time. It's not really the curvature that causes the effects(gravity, gravitational time dialtion), but rather any distortion of distances (metric).

Last edited by a moderator:

Space-time curvature is responsible for gravitational "tidal effects". It describes how space-time deviates from "uniform acceleration". If there were such a thing as a "uniform gravitational field", it would be indistinguishable from no field at all. That's the equivalence principle. Real gravitational fields aren't uniform, but "locally" they almost are.

"Gravitational time dilation" really has nothing to do with gravity, it's due to the proper acceleration of the observer. You get it for observers hovering a fixed distance above planet, you also get it for accelerating observers in the absence of any gravitational source.

Curvature of space-time is an intrinsic property of space-time and does not depend on the observer or on the choice of coordinates to describe a given space-time.

So in the absence of a gravitational source, there is never any curvature, regardless of observer or coordinate choice.

Also, to be pedantic, the "metric" is also an intrinsic property of space-time and does not depend on the observer or on the choice of coordinates. The "Rindler metric" is therefore misnamed and really ought to called "the Minkowski metric expressed in Rindler coordinates".

DrGreg said:
"Gravitational time dilation" really has nothing to do with gravity, it's due to the proper acceleration of the observer.
Doesn't a free falling clock in the center of the mass run slower than a free falling clock far away, regardless any proper acceleration?
DrGreg said:
You get it for observers hovering a fixed distance above planet, you also get it for accelerating observers in the absence of any gravitational source.
I agree that "gravitational time dilation" doesn't imply a "gravitational source". But by "gravity" (as opposed to "gravitation") I usually just mean an inertial force in an accelerated frame, which we sometimes call "the force of gravity". This force alway occurs together with gravitational time dilation.
DrGreg said:
Also, to be pedantic, the "metric" is also an intrinsic property of space-time and does not depend on the observer or on the choice of coordinates.
This puzzles me. Wouldn't an observer, moving relative to the gravitational source, observe a different, Lorentz-contracted metric? Or given two gravitational sources, moving relative to each other, wouldn't the metric created by their combined influence look different in thieir individual reference frames?

A.T. said:
DrGreg said:
"Gravitational time dilation" really has nothing to do with gravity, it's due to the proper acceleration of the observer.
Doesn't a free falling clock in the center of the mass run slower than a free falling clock far away, regardless any proper acceleration?
What I said is probably a bit of an oversimplification. I'm thinking in terms of the local approximation in which the equivalence principle is valid. To be honest, I don't know the answer to that specific question.

A.T. said:
DrGreg said:
You get it for observers hovering a fixed distance above planet, you also get it for accelerating observers in the absence of any gravitational source.
I agree that "gravitational time dilation" doesn't imply a "gravitational source". But by "gravity" (as opposed to "gravitation") I usually just mean an inertial force in an accelerated frame, which we sometimes call "the force of gravity". This force alway occurs together with gravitational time dilation.
Yes, in terms of relativistic terminology the "pseudo-gravity" inside an accelerating rocket isn't "pseudo" at all, it really is "gravity".

A.T. said:
DrGreg said:
Also, to be pedantic, the "metric" is also an intrinsic property of space-time and does not depend on the observer or on the choice of coordinates. The "Rindler metric" is therefore misnamed and really ought to called "the Minkowski metric expressed in Rindler coordinates".
This puzzles me. Wouldn't an observer, moving relative to the gravitational source, observe a different, Lorentz-contracted metric? Or given two gravitational sources, moving relative to each other, wouldn't the metric created by their combined influence look different in thieir individual reference frames?
I'm referring here to the metric tensor, the 4x4 matrix of coefficients usually expressed by an equation of the form ds2 = ... . Just as with 4-vectors, when you change coordinate systems, the values of the 16 numbers in the matrix will change, but it's still regarded as the "same" tensor, just expressed in a different coordinate system. This is just a question of terminology; the numbers change but it's still the "same entity". And if you think of the space metric inherited from the space-time metric, yes that really does change, as your decomposition of space-time into 3D space + 1D time changes.

To give an example, in flat, Euclidean 2D space, the equations

[tex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/tex]
[tex]ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2[/tex]​

both describe the same 2D Euclidean metric.

I am being a little pedantic here, because in practice people often (though technically incorrectly) use the word "metric" to refer to a specific equation in a particular coordinate system.

What is the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration. In other words, an observer in a uniform gravitational field would experience the same physical laws as an observer in an accelerating reference frame.

How does acceleration affect the Equivalence Principle?

Acceleration plays a crucial role in the Equivalence Principle, as it is one of the key factors that allows for the equivalence between gravity and acceleration. This is because acceleration can produce the same effects as gravity, such as the bending of light or the acceleration of objects.

What is curved space?

Curved space, also known as curved spacetime, is a concept in physics that describes the bending or warping of the fabric of space and time due to the presence of massive objects. This is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains how gravity works as a curvature of spacetime.

How does curved space relate to the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle is closely related to the concept of curved space. In fact, the Equivalence Principle is often used to explain the curvature of spacetime in the presence of massive objects. According to the Equivalence Principle, gravity and acceleration are equivalent, and this equivalence is what causes the curvature of spacetime.

Why is the Equivalence Principle important?

The Equivalence Principle is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics, particularly in relation to gravity and acceleration. It also serves as the foundation for Einstein's theory of general relativity, which has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. The Equivalence Principle has also played a crucial role in the development of modern technologies, such as GPS systems and satellite communication.