1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence Relations Questions

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the set ℤ, define ~ as a ~ b whenever a-b is divisible by 12. You may assume that ~ is an equivalence relation and may also assume that addition and multiplication of equivalence classes is well defined where e define [a]+[ b ] = [a+b] and [a]*[ b ] = [ab] for all [a],[ b ].

Find a positive integer d such that
    [d]+[5]=[0]

find a positive integer t such that
    [t]+[8] =[3]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

These problems seem like a lot of fun. However, I'm not quite getting it.

I feel like once I understand one of these, i'll be able to understand all of the easy ones like this.

We define a ~b whenever a-b is divisible by 12.
    So we are saying in the first problem d-5 has to be divisible by 12?

If d = 17 then we have 17-5 which is 12 and that is divisible by 12.
    But how would [17]+[5]=[0]
    In fact, how would any positive integer satisfy that? Since we have well defined addition as [a]+ = [a+b]
    this would mean [d]+[5] = [d+5]
    and this means [d+5] = [0], but since s must be a positive integer this could not happen...

I feel like there must be something clear here that I'm missing and once I get it it will be an easily solvable problem.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see how you can define [a]+ as [a+b]. What's b? The definition you want is [ a ] + [ b ] = [ a+b ]. So [d]+[5]=[0] becomes [d+5]=[0]. Try taking it from there. And you don't really define something as 'well defined'. You have to SHOW your definition is well defined.

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

I'm sorry, there was some formatting errors in my initial post since I used [ s ] initially and made it strike through everything :p. I do indeed want [a]+ [ b ]= [a+b] and [a]*[ b ] = [ab].

Also, the problem stated that they could be assumed to be well defined in more eloquent way. Perhaps I should have posted the entirety of the problem.

I will try to edit my initial post now.

5. Jan 30, 2016 #4

RJLiberator

Gold Member

As far as:
    We are saying some positive integer d such that [d+5] = [0]

Does this mean that
    d+5 - 0 = must be divisible by 12?

I assume that the meaning of equivalence classes suggests that for equivalence to be uphold it must be divisible by 12 in this scenario.
    So (d+5) - 0 = must be divisible by 12.
    So if I choose d = 7 then we have (7+5)- 0 = 12 which is divisible by 12.

Is this the correct way to proceed with these problems? :D

6. Jan 30, 2016 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is exactly the correct way. Yeah, and I was having similar formatting problems myself.

7. Jan 30, 2016 #6

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Perfect, now I have confirmation on my understanding of equivalence relationships.
    This thread is solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted