Equivalence Relations Questions

In summary, the problem states that if d is an integer such that [d+5] = [0], then d must be divisible by 12.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For the set ℤ, define ~ as a ~ b whenever a-b is divisible by 12. You may assume that ~ is an equivalence relation and may also assume that addition and multiplication of equivalence classes is well defined where e define [a]+[ b ] = [a+b] and [a]*[ b ] = [ab] for all [a],[ b ].

Find a positive integer d such that
[d]+[5]=[0]

find a positive integer t such that
[t]+[8] =[3]

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

These problems seem like a lot of fun. However, I'm not quite getting it.

I feel like once I understand one of these, i'll be able to understand all of the easy ones like this.

We define a ~b whenever a-b is divisible by 12.
So we are saying in the first problem d-5 has to be divisible by 12?

If d = 17 then we have 17-5 which is 12 and that is divisible by 12.
But how would [17]+[5]=[0]
In fact, how would any positive integer satisfy that? Since we have well defined addition as [a]+ = [a+b]
this would mean [d]+[5] = [d+5]
and this means [d+5] = [0], but since s must be a positive integer this could not happen...I feel like there must be something clear here that I'm missing and once I get it it will be an easily solvable problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

For the set ℤ, define ~ as a ~ b whenever a-b is divisible by 12. We define [a]+ = [a+b] and [a]* = [ab] as well defined for all [a],.

Find a positive integer d such that
[d]+[5]=[0]

find a positive integer t such that
[t]+[8] =[3]

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

These problems seem like a lot of fun. However, I'm not quite getting it.

I feel like once I understand one of these, i'll be able to understand all of the easy ones like this.

We define a ~b whenever a-b is divisible by 12.
So we are saying in the first problem d-5 has to be divisible by 12?

If d = 17 then we have 17-5 which is 12 and that is divisible by 12.
But how would [17]+[5]=[0]
In fact, how would any positive integer satisfy that? Since we have well defined addition as [a]+ = [a+b]
this would mean [d]+[5] = [d+5]
and this means [d+5] = [0], but since s must be a positive integer this could not happen...I feel like there must be something clear here that I'm missing and once I get it it will be an easily solvable problem.

I don't see how you can define [a]+ as [a+b]. What's b? The definition you want is [ a ] + [ b ] = [ a+b ]. So [d]+[5]=[0] becomes [d+5]=[0]. Try taking it from there. And you don't really define something as 'well defined'. You have to SHOW your definition is well defined.

Likes RJLiberator
I'm sorry, there was some formatting errors in my initial post since I used [ s ] initially and made it strike through everything :p. I do indeed want [a]+ [ b ]= [a+b] and [a]*[ b ] = [ab].

Also, the problem stated that they could be assumed to be well defined in more eloquent way. Perhaps I should have posted the entirety of the problem.

I will try to edit my initial post now.

As far as:
[d]+[5]=[0] becomes [d+5]=[0]

We are saying some positive integer d such that [d+5] = [0]

Does this mean that
d+5 - 0 = must be divisible by 12?

I assume that the meaning of equivalence classes suggests that for equivalence to be uphold it must be divisible by 12 in this scenario.
So (d+5) - 0 = must be divisible by 12.
So if I choose d = 7 then we have (7+5)- 0 = 12 which is divisible by 12.

Is this the correct way to proceed with these problems? :D

RJLiberator said:
As far as:We are saying some positive integer d such that [d+5] = [0]

Does this mean that
d+5 - 0 = must be divisible by 12?

I assume that the meaning of equivalence classes suggests that for equivalence to be uphold it must be divisible by 12 in this scenario.
So (d+5) - 0 = must be divisible by 12.
So if I choose d = 7 then we have (7+5)- 0 = 12 which is divisible by 12.

Is this the correct way to proceed with these problems? :D

That is exactly the correct way. Yeah, and I was having similar formatting problems myself.

Likes RJLiberator
Perfect, now I have confirmation on my understanding of equivalence relationships.
This thread is solved.

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between two or more elements in a set. It is a binary relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.

2. How do you determine if a relation is an equivalence relation?

To determine if a relation is an equivalence relation, you need to check if it satisfies the three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. If it satisfies all three properties, then it is an equivalence relation.

3. Can an equivalence relation exist on any set?

Yes, an equivalence relation can exist on any set as long as it satisfies the three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

4. What is the importance of equivalence relations in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are important in mathematics because they help us classify objects into different equivalence classes, which can simplify and clarify mathematical concepts. They are also used in various fields such as group theory, topology, and logic.

5. Can an equivalence relation be used to define an order relation?

Yes, an equivalence relation can be used to define an order relation. In fact, every equivalence relation can be used to define a partial order relation. However, not all equivalence relations can be used to define a total order relation.