Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Equivalent capacitance; complex circuit

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Equivalent capacitance; complex circuit

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, I was assigned a problem where we are supposed to find the equivalent capacitance of a circuit, and then use that to answer some other questions. However, I'm not sure how to handle this circuit.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3756/circuitph8.th.gif [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

We're using the equations where C(series) = (C1^-1 + C2^-1 +...)^-1 and C(||) = C1 + C2 + ...

3. The attempt at a solution

My immediate thought was to find the equivalent capacitance of C2, C3 and C4 using C234 = C2 + (C3^-1 + C4^-1)^-1. But, after that I'm not quite sure what to do, since the capacitors are now connected in a pattern where C1 and C234 connect together on a path that connects between C5 and C6. I didn't post the numbers for each capacitor as I figure I don't need to burden you with number crunching, but any ideas on how to simplify this circuit would be immensely helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

My suggestion is to group as follows:

1. CA = C3+C4
    2. CB = C5 + (CA) + C2
    3. CC = C6+C1
    4. CD = CC+CB

With the + symbol indicating the equivalent capacitance which is not necessarily an addition.

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much, that did the trick.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook