Find Equivalent Capacitance for Circuit with Five Capacitors | Homework Question

• Thread starter fredrogers3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the problem involves finding the equivalent capacitance between points a and c in a circuit with five capacitors and a battery. The values of the capacitors are given and the battery voltage is 12 V. The solution involves finding the equivalent capacitance between a and b, neglecting c5, and then using the equation Cac=(1/((1/C1)+(1/C234)) to find the final equivalent capacitance. The confusion arises from the unclear problem description.
fredrogers3

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with five capacitors and a battery as shown. The values for the capacitors are: C1 = C5 = 4.1 μF, C2 = 3 μF, C3 = 6.8 μF, and C4 = 3.4 μF. The battery voltage is V = 12 V.

Picture is here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/7cae5cec-ff95-4f38-b803-29ac0b6ddae6.png

I need to find the equivalent capacitance between points a and c.

Homework Equations

I have the answer but I am a bit confused as to how it is arrived at. See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the equivalent capacitance between a and b as c234=(c4)+(1/c23)

I see next that c234 is in series with c1 and c5. Why does the equation then become Cac=(1/((1/C1)+(1/C234)) and not (1/((1/C1)+(1/C5)+(1/C234))?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can neglect c5 since it doesn't affect the capacitance at a or b since the current is flowing clockwise.

Apparently they're only looking for the capacitance to the right of the points a and c. This is not clear in your problem description, so perhaps the problem is stated differently in the original?

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
Apparently they're only looking for the capacitance to the right of the points a and c. This is not clear in your problem description, so perhaps the problem is stated differently in the original?

This was exactly the way the problem was written, so it left me a little confused as well

iRaid said:
You can neglect c5 since it doesn't affect the capacitance at a or b since the current is flowing clockwise.

Current direction doesn't affect equivalent capacitance! Not unless there's a nonlinear circuit element like an open switch or a diode involved that would prevent "seeing" the capacitance.

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a path or loop through which electricity can flow. It typically consists of a power source, conductive material, and a load, which is the device that uses the electricity.

2. What are the different types of circuits?

There are three main types of circuits: series, parallel, and series-parallel. In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, so the current flows through each one. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected side by side, so the current is split between them. A series-parallel circuit combines elements of both types.

3. How does a circuit work?

A circuit works by allowing electricity to flow from a power source through a conductive material to a load. The electricity moves from the negative terminal of the power source through the conductive material to the positive terminal, creating a complete circuit. The load uses the energy from the electricity to perform a specific function.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits use electricity that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) circuits use electricity that flows in one direction. AC circuits are typically used for long-distance power transmission, while DC circuits are used for electronics and smaller devices.

5. How can I troubleshoot a circuit that is not working?

If a circuit is not working, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check to make sure all components are connected properly and that there are no loose or damaged wires. Then, use a multimeter to test for continuity and check that the power source is working. If the issue persists, it may be a problem with one of the components and it may need to be replaced.