1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Capacitance for 4 capacitors of same capacitance

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Part A Given 4 capacitors of the same capacitance C,
    (a) list all values of capacitance you could obtain by connecting up to 4 capacitors.
    (b) Construct a table with two columns: the first column contains all possible values of capacitance in increasing order, and the second column contains all nonequivalent configurations corresponding to each value.

Part B Given a box of 10 capacitors, each of capacitance 470μF, find configurations of at least 5 capacitors with equivalent capacitance as close as possible to
    (a) 250μF and
    (b) 2mF.

2. Relevant equations

what does it mean by all values of capacitance? is there more than one?
    what does nonequivalent configuration mean for each values of capacitance?

in part b, i do not even know how to initiate solving the problem.
    need help please.

3. The attempt at a solution

all i know is an equation for equivalent capacitance
    1/C' = 1/C1+ 1/C2+ 1/C3+ 1/C4

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    There is more than one way to combine the four capacitors - i.e. all four in series, all four in parallel ... there are others.
    There may more than one configuration that gives the same value for capacitance.
    However, in this case they configurations that are not equivalent electronically. i.e. two caps in series followed by two in parallel would be equivalent to two in parallel followed by two in series.

Part B is much the same as part A except you have the target capacitances ... You will have to start out by using trial and error until you get a feel for what sort of numbers you will end up with for different configurations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted