Equivalent Capacitance of a network

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equivalent capacitance of a network containing both series and parallel capacitors. The equation Q = CV is mentioned, as well as the equations for calculating equivalent capacitance in series and parallel. The individual's attempt at a solution involves using charges on the plates and potential differences in loops, but they are unsure of the proper setup for the equations and the role of the charge on capacitor V. They also mention needing the sum of charges on capacitors 1 and 3 to determine the equivalent capacitance.
Canopuswr

Homework Statement

To find the equivalent capacitance of the following network (image attached at the end of the post). The blue capacitors have capacitance of 2C and the black ones have a capacitance of C.

Homework Equations

[tex]Q = CV[/tex] where Q is the charge on a capacitor, C it's capacitance and V the potential difference through it's terminals.
[tex]Q_t=C'*V_n[/tex], where Qt is the total charge stored by the network (I need help with this, I think Qt is the charge on capacitor 1 + the charge on capacitor 3, but I am not sure), Vn the potential difference across the network and C' the equivalent capacitance, which is what I'm seeking
[tex] \frac{1}{C'} = \frac{1}{C_1}+\frac{1}{C_2}+...+\frac{1}{C_n} [/tex] for the equivalent capacitance C' of n capacitors in series
[tex]C' = C_1+C_2+...+C_n[/tex] for the equivalent capacitance of n capacitors in parallel
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n\ V_i = 0[/tex]
if Vi is the voltage across the capacitors and if you follow them in a loop (also being a little careful with signs) (this is the same as closed loop integral of E*dl = 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Not much of an attempt, since it needs some more before i might get something valid from it, but, not knowing how to do it just with series/parallel, I'm doing it using what I know about charges on the plates and potentials. going through the capacitors in loops i get
[tex]V_I+V_I_I=V_I_I_I+V_I_V[/tex]
[tex]V_I+V_V=V_I_I_I[/tex]
[tex]V_V+V_I_V=V_I_I[/tex]
I was thinking of using the fact that the charges on the "inner plates" need to add up to zero in order for charge to be conserved (no charge moves through the capacitors), but I'm not sure on which side will Capacitor V have postive charge and on which side it will have negative charge (this changes the result, I think) and I'm assuming all the other capacitors will have postive charge on their "left" plate and negative on the "right" plate (I'm solving this from right to left, even though it's symmetric that way).
Assuming Capacitor V has positive charge on the upper plate, i think the equations should be
[tex]2CV_I=2CV_V+CV_I_I[/tex]
[tex]CV_I_I_I=-2CV_V+2CV_I_V[/tex]

And that would completely determine the problem (the system is to have infinitely many solutions), since I can find the charge on capacitors 1 and 3, their sum (I think) being Qt and I can add potential differences V1 and V2 to get the potential difference across the network and that's that. I am however shaky on the last two equations and I don't know if the Qt is the sum of charges on capacitors 1 and 3.
I appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh god, I'm sorry, i forgot to attach the file. there it is.

Attachments

• capacitor.JPG
    capacitor.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 565

Dear student,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the equations and concepts involved in finding the equivalent capacitance of a network. However, I would suggest that instead of trying to solve it using the charges and potentials, you can use the equations for equivalent capacitance in series and parallel.

In this case, the capacitors are arranged in a combination of series and parallel connections. The blue capacitors (2C) are in parallel with each other, and the black capacitors (C) are in series with each other. Therefore, you can first find the equivalent capacitance of the two blue capacitors, which would be C' = 2C/2 = C. Then, you can find the equivalent capacitance of the two black capacitors in series, which would be C' = C + C = 2C. Finally, you can find the equivalent capacitance of the entire network by combining the two equivalent capacitances in parallel, which would be C' = C + 2C = 3C.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is equivalent capacitance?

Equivalent capacitance is the single capacitance value that represents the combined effect of a network of capacitors. It is the capacitance that would produce the same amount of charge and voltage as the original network of capacitors.

2. How do you calculate equivalent capacitance?

The equivalent capacitance of a network can be calculated using the formula 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ..., where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitance values of the capacitors in the network. This formula is valid for capacitors connected in series. For capacitors connected in parallel, the equivalent capacitance can be calculated by simply adding the capacitance values.

3. Why is it important to know the equivalent capacitance of a network?

Knowing the equivalent capacitance of a network is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and solve them using simpler equations. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the overall circuit and predicting its response to different inputs.

4. What factors affect the equivalent capacitance of a network?

The equivalent capacitance of a network is affected by the number of capacitors in the network, their individual capacitance values, and the way they are connected (in series or parallel). It is also affected by the dielectric material used in the capacitors, as different materials have different dielectric constants.

5. Can the equivalent capacitance of a network be negative?

No, the equivalent capacitance of a network cannot be negative. Capacitance is a physical quantity that represents the ability of a capacitor to store charge, and it cannot have a negative value. However, in some cases, the equivalent capacitance of a network may have an imaginary component, indicating a phase difference between voltage and current.