Equivalent definitions of convergence

• Thread starter stripes
  • Start date

Homework Statement

[itex]\mathbf{D1:}\forall\varepsilon>0,\exists K\epsilon\mathbb{N},\forall n\epsilon\mathbb{N},n\geq K\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|<\varepsilon[/itex]

[itex]\mathbf{D2:}\forall\rho>0,\exists M\epsilon\mathbb{N},\forall n\epsilon\mathbb{N},n>M\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|\leq\rho[/itex]

Show these two definitions of convergence (of a sequence xn) are equivalent by showing both D1 implies D2, and D2 implies D1.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

To show D1 ==> D2, i just took M = K - 1, where K was from D1. But it didn't seem to get me anywhere since i can show

[itex]n>M\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|< \rho[/itex],

but this does not encompass the possibility of ≤ ρ. So basically i have no idea how to do this.

Similarly, i need something to get me started on D2 ==> D1. How do I go about this?

I'm sure i'm overthinking it as I've done much more complicated proofs before, and I've done all other questions on this assignment without help. I just honestly don't know how to do this one. Thanks in advance!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

[itex]\mathbf{D1:}\forall\varepsilon>0,\exists K\epsilon\mathbb{N},\forall n\epsilon\mathbb{N},n\geq K\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|<\varepsilon[/itex]

[itex]\mathbf{D2:}\forall\rho>0,\exists M\epsilon\mathbb{N},\forall n\epsilon\mathbb{N},n>M\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|\leq\rho[/itex]

Show these two definitions of convergence (of a sequence xn) are equivalent by showing both D1 implies D2, and D2 implies D1.

Homework Equations

--

To show D1 ==> D2, i just took M = K - 1, where K was from D1. But it didn't seem to get me anywhere since i can show

[itex]n>M\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|< \rho[/itex],

but this does not encompass the possibility of ≤ ρ. So basically i have no idea how to do this.

Similarly, i need something to get me started on D2 ==> D1. How do I go about this?

I'm sure i'm overthinking it as I've done much more complicated proofs before, and I've done all other questions on this assignment without help. I just honestly don't know how to do this one. Thanks in advance!
If ##\lvert x_n - x \rvert \le \rho##, then surely ##\lvert x_n - x \rvert < \rho## is satisfied, right?

That information is helpful to show D2 ==> D1 right?

Last edited:
These are definitions of convergence as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex] of the sequence [tex]x_n[/tex] to a particular value x. The concept is that the bigger n gets, the closer [tex]x_n[/tex] gets to x.

Now to state it formally we have to choose an [tex]\epsilon,[/tex] which supposedly is a small number like 1/n or [tex]1/n^2[/tex] and show that if n is big enough

(1)... [tex]|x - x_n| < \epsilon[/tex].

When we say n is big enough we mean that the inequality (1) is true for n and every higher integer -- n+1, n+2,... etc. In other words, once we pick the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] there is some point from M on where the inequality holds.

Of course, we said any [tex] \epsilon [/tex] so if you make it smaller you'll need a bigger M (or K or whatever). The important thing is that once you pick the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] you can always find some M that works.

Note we said there is some point M, not that M is necessarily the smallest cutoff that will work. If you're not sure M is adequately large, you can always pick a bigger one. So the difference between saying there is an M such that [tex] n \ge M[/tex] makes (1) work, and there is a K such that n> K makes (1) work is almost non-existent. Just pick an N which is bigger than both M and K and let n be larger than that, and it won't matter whether you write < or less than or =.

Once you understand why convergence is defined in terms of n > N, it really doesn't matter whether you have strict inequality or not.

I hope you can use these thoughts to construct a proof your teacher will like.

If I may editorialize, I think this is a poor choice of problem for a student. The strict or not strict inequality is essentially meaningless, and takes your eye off the ball, which is what convergence really means. However, do what you have to to get a good grade.

Last edited:
Thanks brmath. I do understand this on an intuitive level. I'm not particularly great at this stuff but I've taken a few junior and even a senior analysis/proof oriented course before, and I have proved much more complex stuff. That's why I'm surprised I couldn't get started here. But I definitely understand and your explanation helped.

Because I asked this question the night before it was due, I didn't really have time to do much so i just threw down an "explanation". Hopefully I'll get something out of it, but the remainder of the assignment was completed, so I hope it will not affect my grade too much.

Thanks!

I remember being a student and doing things the night before they were due. Computer programming cured me of that (missed deadlines where money was involved). My theory became that if I start early and get something done early, this could not possibly hurt. If I start early and something goes wrong (which is practically always) then there is time to recover. I hope your explanation will be satisfactory to your teacher.

Normally i too start my assignments late (i.e., i start my assignments the night before). this one, however, i started early :) hopefully my habits change and continue this way this semester.