1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Emf in case of polarity being changed

1. May 24, 2015 #1
    • Warning: Rule infraction: Homework template missing.
    I read the following statement in a book: "if polarity of m number of cells out of total n number of cells are connected in series with external resistance R is reversed then equivalent emf of such combination of cells is given by
    Eeq= (n-2m)E (where, each cell has same value of emf= E"
    I don't understand why we subtract 2m... Why not just m from the total number of cell. Please explain?

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2
    it is like this:

consider we have 4 cells of equal emf e. one is reversed.. as a result.. one is cancelled.. therefore equivalent emf is 2e=(4e-2e)

similarly consider n cells... m is reversed.. m cells are cancelled... equivalent emf is (n-2m)e

4. May 24, 2015 #3
    it is because one reversed polarity actually cancels 1 cell having opposite polarity.therefore both cell, the one reversed and one original polarity gets cancelled.. which means:
    if m cells are reversed, then 2m cells cancels of from the equivalent.. therefore equivalent emf becomes (n-2m)e

5. May 24, 2015 #4
    I got it!! Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted