Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Lengths (Le/D) for Valves and Fittings

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    Can anyone recommend any good references for equivalent length data for valves and fittings? All of my fluid mechanics books only have data for fully opened vales, but I'm currently working on a project where I need to know the values for partially closed valves.

I tried to do a Google search but came up with nothing relevant. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

Try "Crane Technical Paper 410". My copy is at the office but I seem to remember them having some tables listed in the appendix.
  4. Sep 27, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

For information like that, you'll need to get curves from the manufacturer of the valves. I can't remember any off the top of my head that listed partially open flows. Even Crane makes the distinction of fully open on most valves in its section of resistance coefficients. There is one exception in which they list a tilting disc check valve opening of 5° and 15°.
  5. Sep 27, 2007 #4
    Thanks for your responses.

I looked into the paper today, but it wasn't exactly what I needed. I may just need to do some tests and try to solve for it empirically.
  6. Oct 11, 2007 #5

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?