Calculating velocity of a potato

In summary, the author discusses the design factors and calculations for a pneumatic cannon/gun. He provides a primer on friction coefficients and how they can be used to estimate velocities.
PhysicsFreak321
Hello all! Please note this is my first post and I would love to learn the method of calculating the below question... so that I may retain the knowledge and apply it for further models.
First... the question.
How can I take the following information... and using existing data find the velocity at ejection of said projectile.
( basically I have built a pneumatic launch device and would like to...
1. Calculate the velocity I have acheived.
2. Learn the method of reaching the solution for theoretical models in future builds. )

4 inch by 36inch pressure chamber..
Pressure chamber charged to 40 PSI.
Barrel is 48 inches in length.
( reduced with check valve pic fitting that is the pressure release mechanism)
50 gram projectile.
Let's just assume 100 percent efficiency in the.release from pressure chamber to the barrel... in which the projectile.is.form fit perfectly to the shape of barrel.
I don't know if this is relevant but friction coefficient of pvc C=150 ( cite google search)
Please let me know what formulas or known data I could use to estimate the Velocity of projectile.

Again... this may sound ignore t. Just please keep in mind I am not.simply seeking an answer... but to learn how to reach the answer and understand how and why.
Thank you all for your time and if further data is requested I will do everything to provide the requested information

Engineering news on Phys.org
PhysicsFreak321 said:
Barrel is 48 inches in length.
Correction48 inches in length by 2 inches ( pvc. Round.)
Thanks... apologies for the missing information

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a potato?

The velocity of a potato can be calculated by dividing the distance the potato travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This formula is represented as Velocity = Distance / Time.

2. What units are used to measure the velocity of a potato?

The velocity of a potato is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, any unit of distance divided by a unit of time can be used to measure velocity.

3. Does the shape and size of the potato affect its velocity?

Yes, the shape and size of the potato can affect its velocity. A larger or heavier potato may have more mass and therefore require more force to move, resulting in a slower velocity. Additionally, the shape of the potato can affect its aerodynamics and the amount of friction it experiences, which can also impact its velocity.

4. How can I measure the time it takes for a potato to travel a certain distance?

The time it takes for a potato to travel a certain distance can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer. Start the timer when the potato begins to move and stop the timer when it reaches the desired distance. Make sure to take multiple measurements and average them for a more accurate result.

5. Can the velocity of a potato change over time?

Yes, the velocity of a potato can change over time. This can be caused by various factors such as changes in force, air resistance, or the potato's own mass. Additionally, if the potato is traveling over a long distance, it may experience changes in velocity as it adjusts to different surfaces and environments.