Equivalent resistance of 7-resistor circuit with mixed series and parallel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Gonger
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
For this question I am pretty sure I am doing everything right but I just can't get the right answer. Diagram below. This is the question. Find the equivalent resistance of the circuit shown in the diagram, where R1 = 3 Ω, R2 = 2 Ω, R3 = 4 Ω, R4 = 1 Ω, R5 = 1 Ω, R6 = 2 Ω, and R7 = 2 Ω.

What I did was R4 and R3 in parallel, R6 and R5 in series, R1 and R2 in series, R12 and R7 in parallel, then R65 and R43 in series together, and finally R6543 in series with R127. I keep getting 2.07 ohms as my answer. If you can make out what I said can anyone help me?
Thanks
 
Attachments
  • prob06v3.gif
    prob06v3.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 953
Physics news on Phys.org
One problem I see with your calculations is you took R1 and R2 in series, but R2 is in series with R3//R4

R1 will be one of the last ones you can reduce
 
OK I still can't get it

I have R3/R4 in parallel. Then I took that in series with R2. Then I took that in series with R6//R5. Then all of that in series with R7. And finally that in parallel with R1. Does all that sound right?
 
Gonger said:
OK I still can't get it

I have R3/R4 in parallel. Then I took that in series with R2. Then I took that in series with R6//R5.

Are you sure about that?

Gonger said:
Then all of that in series with R7. And finally that in parallel with R1. Does all that sound right?

Are you sure about that?

Tip: Once you replace two resistors with an equivalent resistance, draw the circuit again with that replacement. That way, you will be able to see the relationships amongst the remaining resistors, instead of visualising it all in your head.