Erasmus exchange program for a senior physics bachelor.

In summary, the conversation is about a physics student in Spain considering studying abroad in Denmark through the Erasmus program. They are seeking advice on course equivalency and the experience of other students. One person recommends going for it, while another shares their positive experience in a different country. The main concern is whether or not the courses taken abroad will be recognized by their home institution.
Lavabug
Hi all,
I'm a phys junior in Spain thinking of doing my final undergrad year in another country in the EU, assuming I maintain my grant status in my senior year. My uni offers an exchange program at Copenhagen university which really caught my eye. There are many final year electives/grad courses that aren't offered at my current institution and I think it would be a good opportunity to get my foot in the door for a phd and/or masters

Does anyone have experience studying abroad through the Erasmus program? Any general info/guidelines for physics exchange students would be really helpful. I'm a bit worried about course equivalence. For example: General Relativity and a course on electronics are mandatory senior courses, while in copenhagen they're grad courses/aren't offered at all(at least I failed to find a similar undergrad electronics course). I suppose my university wouldn't offer an exchange program with them if senior year wasn't considered equivalent right? I wouldn't want to have to take on another year as an undergrad because I'm missing one or two courses. I suppose my faculty is the best place to ask this, but I'm home for vacations now and I'm a bit impatient. :)

I've spoken with some fellow countrymen from other careers that have gone on an Erasmus trip, but all they can tell me is how much they partied, learned about their host country, etc... zilch on academic matters.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I went on the Erasmus program to University College Dublin and I would highly recommend it. For me it gave me the opportunity to dodge the incredibly dull (in my opinion) subject of statistics and get the opportunity to do some of the other subjects that my home university didn't do.

So go for it.

Thanks for the input. Was statistics a mandatory course or an elective? Did your home university give you any problems for not having taken said course on an erasmus trip? Because that's my main worry: not getting a full year of course work recognized at my home institution.

Unfortunately statistics was mandatory but I was allowed to be a lot mire free in Ireland.

I see. I have a mandatory circuit theory course in my 4th year, but I'd much rather be taking something like QFT or some kind of lab course. Guess I'll have to speak with my uni to be sure its not a problem.

I missed out quite a lot of stuff that I should be taking and it wasn't a problem for my university.

1. What is the purpose of the Erasmus exchange program for a senior physics bachelor?

The Erasmus exchange program for a senior physics bachelor is designed to promote international cooperation and academic exchange among universities in Europe. It allows senior physics students to study abroad for one or two semesters and gain valuable experience, cultural understanding, and language skills.

2. Who is eligible to participate in the Erasmus exchange program for a senior physics bachelor?

Senior physics bachelors who are enrolled in a participating university and have completed at least two years of their undergraduate degree are eligible to apply for the Erasmus exchange program. They must also meet the academic and language requirements set by their home and host universities.

3. How do I apply for the Erasmus exchange program for a senior physics bachelor?

To apply for the Erasmus exchange program, students must first be nominated by their home university. They can then apply to their host university, which will review their application and decide whether to accept them as an exchange student. Students should also consult with their academic advisor and the international office at their home university for guidance on the application process.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the Erasmus exchange program for a senior physics bachelor?

The Erasmus exchange program offers numerous benefits, including the opportunity to study at a prestigious university abroad, gain international experience and cultural understanding, improve language skills, and expand professional networks. It also allows students to transfer credits earned abroad back to their home university and potentially accelerate their graduation timeline.

5. Are there any financial considerations for participating in the Erasmus exchange program for a senior physics bachelor?

The Erasmus exchange program offers financial support to participating students, including a mobility grant to help cover travel and living expenses. Additionally, students may be eligible for scholarships or grants from their home or host universities. It is important to research and plan for potential costs, such as housing and visa fees, before participating in the program.