Error bars, Chi square distribution

In summary, the speaker is asking for guidance on how to determine the error bars for their best estimates while doing a fit using Chi-square distribution. They mention finding the best estimate by minimizing Chi square and reference a book for information on estimating uncertainties.
dabo
Hi, I'm doing a fit using Chi-square distribution. I have a data set and their errors, I found the best estimate minimizing Chi square, as usual, and I like to found the error bars of my best estimates but I don't know how to do that. Which is the standard form to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
dabo said:
Hi, I'm doing a fit using Chi-square distribution. I have a data set and their errors, I found the best estimate minimizing Chi square, as usual, and I like to found the error bars of my best estimates but I don't know how to do that. Which is the standard form to do it?

It depends upon what functional form you are fitting. Look in Bevington: "Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences" for a description of estimating uncertainties on best-fit parameters. Lines are straightforward, and you can find equations by googling.

What are error bars?

Error bars are graphical representations of the variability or uncertainty in a data set. They are typically used in charts or graphs to show the range of data points and the level of confidence in the measurements.

How are error bars calculated?

The calculation of error bars depends on the type of data and the type of error being measured. For example, error bars for standard deviation are calculated by taking the square root of the variance. Other types of error bars, such as confidence intervals, are calculated using statistical methods.

What is the purpose of error bars?

The main purpose of error bars is to visually represent the variability in a data set. They can also help to show the level of uncertainty in the measurements and can be used to compare data sets or determine the significance of differences between groups.

What is the Chi square distribution?

The Chi square distribution is a probability distribution that is used in statistical analysis to determine the likelihood of a certain outcome occurring by chance. It is commonly used in hypothesis testing and is also known as the χ² distribution.

How is the Chi square distribution used with error bars?

The Chi square distribution is often used in conjunction with error bars to determine the significance of differences between groups. By calculating the Chi square value, which represents the difference between the observed and expected data, researchers can determine if the differences are statistically significant.