Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error from Force 2.0 G77 but not from G77 Mingw

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1
    Array `cm' at (^) is too large to handle

I get this error/warning when compiling with the Force 2.0 G77 compiler. However, I do not get this with my MinGw G77. This is the first program I have found that causes this error with Force 2.0, but I would like to fix it.

Any ideas why it would be different?

Jim

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's hard to speculate without more details of your program.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3
    I think you misunderstood my question. The program is fine, it compiles with G77. But NOT with G77 that installs with Force 2.0.

but here is the declaration:
    COMPLEX*16 CM

Thanks,

Jim

5. Jun 5, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The error message says cm is an array. What are the dimensions of the array?

Yes, I understand that the program compiles with one compiler but not the other. But most of us at PF are not clairvoyant, so we often need something more to go one besides a compiler error message.

It is not clear from reading various documentation for the different g77 compilers and the Fortran 90/95 standard how the compiler treats a type declaration of COMPLEX*16. Some of the documentation suggests that the real and imaginary parts of the variable are converted automatically to single precision.

6. Jun 5, 2013 #5
    The question is for someone who knows Force 2.0. No clairvoyance required. I am trying to get control of the integrated compiler. There is no command box to see how it implements the compiler.

I did find a solution. You can not simply replace the G77 compiler. Force 2.0 needs f771 to open. The solution is to install Force 2.0 G95 and replace G95.exe with a renamed G77. Then change the compile switch/arguments in the run menu. It runs G77 fine now. I will contact the author and suggest that he add a "select compiler option" to the setup.

Thanks,

Jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook