Error from Force 2.0 G77 but not from G77 Mingw

In summary: The question is for someone who knows Force 2.0. No clairvoyance required. I am trying to get control of the integrated compiler. There is no command box to see how it implements the compiler.I did find a solution. You can not simply replace the G77 compiler. Force 2.0 needs f771 to open. The solution is to install Force 2.0 G95 and replace G95.exe with a renamed G77. Then change the compile switch/arguments in the run menu. It runs G77 fine now. I will contact the author and suggest that he add a "select compiler option" to the setup. Thanks,
jelanier
Array `cm' at (^) is too large to handle

I get this error/warning when compiling with the Force 2.0 G77 compiler. However, I do not get this with my MinGw G77. This is the first program I have found that causes this error with Force 2.0, but I would like to fix it.

Any ideas why it would be different?

Jim

Technology news on Phys.org
It's hard to speculate without more details of your program.

SteamKing said:
It's hard to speculate without more details of your program.

I think you misunderstood my question. The program is fine, it compiles with G77. But NOT with G77 that installs with Force 2.0.

but here is the declaration:
COMPLEX*16 CM

Thanks,

Jim

The error message says cm is an array. What are the dimensions of the array?

Yes, I understand that the program compiles with one compiler but not the other. But most of us at PF are not clairvoyant, so we often need something more to go one besides a compiler error message.

It is not clear from reading various documentation for the different g77 compilers and the Fortran 90/95 standard how the compiler treats a type declaration of COMPLEX*16. Some of the documentation suggests that the real and imaginary parts of the variable are converted automatically to single precision.

SteamKing said:
The error message says cm is an array. What are the dimensions of the array?

Yes, I understand that the program compiles with one compiler but not the other. But most of us at PF are not clairvoyant, so we often need something more to go one besides a compiler error message.

It is not clear from reading various documentation for the different g77 compilers and the Fortran 90/95 standard how the compiler treats a type declaration of COMPLEX*16. Some of the documentation suggests that the real and imaginary parts of the variable are converted automatically to single precision.

The question is for someone who knows Force 2.0. No clairvoyance required. I am trying to get control of the integrated compiler. There is no command box to see how it implements the compiler.

I did find a solution. You can not simply replace the G77 compiler. Force 2.0 needs f771 to open. The solution is to install Force 2.0 G95 and replace G95.exe with a renamed G77. Then change the compile switch/arguments in the run menu. It runs G77 fine now. I will contact the author and suggest that he add a "select compiler option" to the setup.

Thanks,

Jim

What is the difference between G77 and G77 Mingw?

G77 and G77 Mingw are both versions of the GNU Fortran compiler, which is used to compile and run Fortran code. The main difference between the two versions is that G77 Mingw is specifically designed for use with the Windows operating system, while G77 can be used with various operating systems. Additionally, G77 Mingw is based on the Mingw compiler, which is an open-source implementation of the Windows API.

Why am I getting an error from Force 2.0 G77 but not from G77 Mingw?

The most likely reason for this difference in error messages is due to the fact that G77 Mingw is specifically designed for use with Windows, while G77 is a more general compiler. This means that G77 Mingw may have certain features or optimizations that are not present in G77, which can result in different behavior and error messages when compiling code.

Can I use G77 Mingw on a non-Windows operating system?

No, G77 Mingw is specifically designed for use with the Windows operating system and cannot be used on other operating systems. However, there are other versions of the GNU Fortran compiler that can be used on non-Windows systems, such as G77 or GFortran.

Which version of the GNU Fortran compiler should I use?

The version of the GNU Fortran compiler that you should use depends on your specific needs and preferences. G77 Mingw may be a good choice if you are developing Fortran code on a Windows system, while G77 may be more suitable for use on other operating systems. It is recommended to do some research and experimentation to determine which version works best for your particular project.

Can I use G77 Mingw alongside other compilers?

Yes, it is possible to use G77 Mingw alongside other compilers, as long as they do not conflict with each other. For example, you could have both G77 Mingw and GFortran on your computer and switch between them depending on your needs. However, it is important to note that using multiple compilers can sometimes result in compatibility issues with libraries or code developed for a specific compiler.