FORTRAN 77 IO Error: Troubleshooting with FORCE 2.0

• Fortran
  • Thread starter Sujash Bhattacharya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error Fortran
In summary, the conversation is about a FORTRAN code that is giving an error message upon running it, but no error during compilation. The error message is related to an illegal unit number and the application has requested the Runtime to terminate. The speaker is using Force 2.0 as a compiler and the code runs well on their professor's computer. They are advised to post the relevant code and there is a discussion about finding valid unit numbers. Intel also notes that the shell may have issues with too many files open.
Sujash Bhattacharya
I have a FORTRAN code that is producing no error upon compilation but when I run it, the run aborts with following message

"open: illegal unit number
apparent state: unit 72 <unnamed>
last format: list io
lately writing direct formatted external IO

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information"

I am using Force 2.0 as compiler. This code is running well in my professors pc with force 2.0. . The code is long. So it is difficult to post it here.

Technology news on Phys.org
You'll have to post some code if you want anybody to help you. You can copy and paste the relevant part (including the open statement) inside code tags.

Here's an online discussion about finding valid unit numbers:

http://computer-programming-forum.com/49-fortran/f569be913050064a.htm

I recall that 5 is for reading standard input and 6 is for writing to the printer ie standard output

and here's some related info from Intel on its fortran:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler-for-linux-and-mac-os-x/topic/269404

where they note the shell may have issues with too many files open (another limit to consider).

1. What is FORTRAN 77 IO Error and how does it affect my code?

FORTRAN 77 IO Error refers to input/output errors that occur when using the FORTRAN 77 programming language. These errors can occur when reading or writing data to files, and can cause your code to crash or produce unexpected results.

2. What is FORCE 2.0 and how can it help with troubleshooting FORTRAN 77 IO errors?

FORCE 2.0 is a software tool designed specifically for debugging and troubleshooting FORTRAN 77 IO errors. It analyzes your code and identifies potential sources of IO errors, making it easier for you to locate and fix the issue.

3. Can FORCE 2.0 be used with other versions of FORTRAN or is it only compatible with FORTRAN 77?

FORCE 2.0 is primarily designed for use with FORTRAN 77, but it can also be used with other versions of FORTRAN. However, some features may not be available or may behave differently depending on the specific version of FORTRAN being used.

4. Is FORCE 2.0 a free tool or does it require a subscription?

FORCE 2.0 is a free software tool that can be downloaded and used for troubleshooting FORTRAN 77 IO errors. However, some advanced features may require a subscription or purchase of a license.

5. Is there any support available for using FORCE 2.0 to troubleshoot FORTRAN 77 IO errors?

Yes, there is support available for using FORCE 2.0. You can refer to the user manual or online documentation for guidance, or reach out to the developers or online community for assistance with any specific issues or questions you may have.