Error(?) in proof that the rational numbers are denumerable

In summary, the author is seeking clarification on a proof and raises a concern about the accuracy of a statement. They suspect that the author may have meant to write "positive rationals" instead of "positive integers" and questions the inclusion of absolute value in the equation. They also mention a possible convention where the sign of the numerator in a rational number is assumed to be positive. Overall, the author is looking for someone to straighten out their logic and address any potential mistakes in the proof.
Uncanny
TL;DR Summary
I am working through J. H. Wiliamson’s Book on Lebesgue Integration on my own and have come across a proof I find rather “sketchy.”
If someone can straighten out my logic or concur with the presence of a mistake in the proof (even though the conclusion is correct, of course), I would be much obliged.

I’m looking at the proof of the corollary near the middle of the page (image of page attached below). I simply don’t find that the set, for instance, A_1 is finite, for if n=1, then wouldn’t it contain the infinite sequence of elements (writing only one memeber of each equivalence class of the rationals): 0/1, 1/-1, 1/-2, 1/-3,...,2/-3,...?

I understand the structure of the proof- it uses the theorem presented above it, which proves that the union of countably infinite sets is countably infinite. I just don’t find how the particular portion of the statement of the proof mentioned above is accurate. Did the author, perhaps, mean to write “positive rationals, R_0?” But, if so, then why the inclusion of the absolute value in the equation governing the property of inclusion for the indexed sets?

🙏

Attachments

• C0287795-499D-4231-BF93-C29011A9F024.png
    C0287795-499D-4231-BF93-C29011A9F024.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 244
Physics news on Phys.org
Uncanny said:
if n=1, then wouldn’t it contain the infinite sequence of elements (writing only one memeber of each equivalence class of the rationals): 0/1, 1/-1, 1/-2, 1/-3,...,2/-3,...?

I suspect that the author is using a convention where the numerator ##p## of rationals carries the sign, so ##q## is always assumed to be positive. That would explain why he writes the definition for the set ##A_n## as ##|p| + q \le n##, putting the absolute value only on ##p##. If ##q## is always positive, then it should be obvious that the set ##A_n## is finite for any ##n##.

Likes Uncanny and pbuk
The author is assuming that ## q > 0 ## which as ## \frac1{-2} = \frac{-1}2 ## is fine.

Thank you, friends!

1. What is the proof that the rational numbers are denumerable?

The proof that the rational numbers are denumerable is a mathematical proof that shows that the set of all rational numbers can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers, meaning that they can be counted and listed in a systematic way.

2. What does "denumerable" mean?

"Denumerable" is a mathematical term that means a set can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers, or in other words, it can be counted and listed in a systematic way.

3. What is an example of a rational number?

An example of a rational number is 3/4, which can be expressed as a ratio of two integers (3 and 4).

4. How is the proof that the rational numbers are denumerable different from the proof for integers?

The proof that the rational numbers are denumerable is based on the fact that they can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This is different from the proof for integers, which is based on the fact that they are whole numbers without any fractional components.

5. Can the proof that the rational numbers are denumerable be applied to other sets of numbers?

Yes, the proof that the rational numbers are denumerable can be applied to other sets of numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, such as the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1. However, it cannot be applied to sets of numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, such as the set of all irrational numbers.