Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Essay on the Lithium ion battery

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I'm currently in the works of experimenting and writing up my Extended Essay on Chemistry for the IB (it is basically a very long lab report). I have chosen to do the sub-topic of electrochemistry, within which I am interested to do something on the Lithium-ion battery. However, this topic is currently too broad.

Keeping in mind this has to be related to the chemistry side of things and not physics, what kind of specifics can I possibly go into related to the Li-ion batteries? The single requirement is that it my essay must be experiment-based.

Thanks for your help,
    Isaac.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could look at the new lithium iron phosphate (olivine structure) electrodes that A123 Systems has employed. The technology uses nanosized lithium iron phosphate particles in a conductive carbon matrix to achieve increased electrical conductivity.

Why don't you look into ultrathin plating of these particles with electroless gold instead?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?