Lithium-ion bateries ruined once fully discharged?

• Thread starter null void
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to charge lithium-ion batteries in phones and mobile computers. While some sources suggest charging when the battery is very low, others advise against completely discharging the battery. Additionally, it is mentioned that mobile computer Li-ion batteries do not have a memory effect and do not need to be charged only when the battery is low. It is also stated that prolonging the battery's life can be achieved by maintaining it at 80-90% capacity during storage.
null void
I have read some source stated that the phone lithium-ion battery could last longer if we charge it when its charge is very low, does this mean to let it discharge completely? But when i read this article, http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/lithium-ion-battery.htm, it stated that mobile computer's lithium-ion batteries should not be completely discharged or it will be ruined. And it also mentioned that the mobile computers lithium ion batteries has no memory effect, so we don't actually need to charge it only when its charge is running low. Does the mobile computer Li-ion batteries different from the Li-ion batteries used in phone?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
null void said:
I have read some source stated that the phone lithium-ion battery could last longer if we charge it when its charge is very low,
I don't believe that to be correct, just the contrary. It should not be run right down. It should be connected to the charger immediately if the cell is unavoidably discharged to a low figure, to minimize this deterioration. The Li-ion's life is prolonged when undergoing lengthy storage if it is maintained at around 80-90% capacity, I've read, rather than 100%.

Likes 1 person

1. What happens if a lithium-ion battery is fully discharged?

When a lithium-ion battery is fully discharged, it can cause irreversible damage to the battery. The battery's voltage may drop to a point where it can no longer be recharged, rendering the battery unusable.

2. Can a lithium-ion battery be revived after being fully discharged?

In some cases, a lithium-ion battery can be revived after being fully discharged. This can be done by using a low-voltage charger or by jump-starting the battery with a compatible device. However, it is not always successful and can potentially be dangerous, so it is best to prevent the battery from fully discharging in the first place.

3. How can I prevent my lithium-ion battery from being fully discharged?

The best way to prevent a lithium-ion battery from being fully discharged is to monitor its charge level and recharge it before it reaches 0%. Most devices have a low battery warning or automatic shut-off feature to help prevent the battery from fully discharging.

4. What are the long-term effects of fully discharging a lithium-ion battery?

Fully discharging a lithium-ion battery can shorten its overall lifespan. The repeated deep discharge and recharge cycles can cause damage to the battery's internal components, leading to decreased performance and capacity over time.

5. Is it safe to leave a lithium-ion battery fully discharged for a long period of time?

No, it is not safe to leave a lithium-ion battery fully discharged for a long period of time. This can cause the battery to enter a deep discharge state, which can lead to irreversible damage. It is recommended to store lithium-ion batteries at a 40-50% charge level to prolong their lifespan.