Essay Question on Potential Electric Energy

In summary, the electric potential and electric field are related, but not always equal. If the electric field is 0, then the electric potential can be 0, but if the electric potential is 0, the electric field may not be 0. This is because there can be a value for the electric field when the electric potential is 0, such as when there are multiple fields present exerting force on a particle, resulting in a net potential energy of 0.
jkola07
If the electric field is 0, then is the electric potential 0?
If the Electric pottential 0 then is the electric field 0?
Explain why or why not.

.. I rather say my idea on this topic, this my first post I am rather shy...:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe when the electrical potential is 0 that dose not necessary mean that the electrical field is 0 but if the electrical field is 0 than the electrical potential is 0, its just common sense to me I do not know how to explain can I get some help.

is it because electirical potential is directly related to the electrical field...and electrical field can be in full motion meaning in full kinetic electric energy causeing there to be 0 potential? Please help am I on the right track>

First, there is not a man or woman on this forum who has not committed enormous blunders of reasoning. I myself recognize at least 3 in the past week alone, and friends suggest its closer to 30. My daughter would estimate it at 300,000 in one of her more sour moods, in other words, every breath I take is a mistake.

There is one basic rule here at the Physics Forum that we adhere to. You are required to post at least some thoughts on the problem with which you would like help. It can be very simple, such as a definition of electric field and electric potential. You have already given the issue some consideration obviously. Often many seeking help have the additional disadvantage of trying to learn physics without much help from teachers or access to materials in their native language. I'm US born and have a good command of english and a better command of math, and it is still so, so hard at times.

So as a way of getting your feet wet, just add a couple of thoughts about what potential is. Maybe consider what you know about gravity if you have studied this as there are many anologies.

Welcome. We are here to help.

Last edited:
Excellent, somewhere between my post and your first you added much more.

These are very difficult questions you ask. I very much agree that one can be in an electric field and have no potential. The simple example would be a particle with no charge. Or in a situation where more than one field is present and exerting force on a particle such that net potential is zero?

oh thanks...the Electrical potential energy is Kc(q^2/d) electrical field is Kc(q/d^2).. um in regard to gravitiy I suppose gravitational force and electrical field are related...when it it comes to Gravational potential energy there is a point where it is zero is that when kinetic energy is the greatest?.. So would I compare Ep to Ef with anaolgy of a ball that is thrown up and has at a point 0 potential energy but still has force acting upon it... I'm I anywhere near the right track?

oh thanks I did not see the previous post... thanks

Well can other force other than electrical alter electric potential energy?

jkola07 said:
oh thanks...the Electrical potential energy is Kc(q^2/d) electrical field is Kc(q/d^2).. um in regard to gravitiy I suppose gravitational force and electrical field are related...when it it comes to Gravational potential energy there is a point where it is zero is that when kinetic energy is the greatest?.. So would I compare Ep to Ef with anaolgy of a ball that is thrown up and has at a point 0 potential energy but still has force acting upon it... I'm I anywhere near the right track?

you're thinking, and that's all that matters. Sometimes people visit PF just because they have better things to do and want homework to be done or checked for them.

Lets look at the gravity situation, you throw a ball up and it stops at some point, that's when the potential energy is greatest. Then during ascent is exchanges porential for kinetic energy. More what I had in mind was a particle between the moon and Earth where the forces exerted exactly offset. With gravity, there is always attractive force.The conditions for electrical potential energy are wider given that it can be both attractive and repulsive. I don't wish to make this seem too complicated for now.

jkola07 said:
If the electric field is 0, then is the electric potential 0?
If the Electric pottential 0 then is the electric field 0?
Explain why or why not.

If the electrical field is 0 then the electrical potential can be 0 this can be easily illustrated in when a particle has no charge in a electrical field. However when the electrical potentail is 0 that does not mean electrical field is 0 because there can be vaule to a electric field when Electrical potential is 0 an example of this is when more than on field is present exerting force on a partcle resulting the net potential energy to be 0

sound good?

Uhhh,

in 1D

E(x)=-d phi(x) / dx

where E(x) is the field, phi(x) is the electric potential.

if phi(x)=C (a constant, could be 0, doesn't have to be)

E(x)=0

1. What is potential electric energy?

Potential electric energy is the energy stored in an object or system due to its position or configuration. It is also known as electrical potential energy and is measured in joules (J).

2. How is potential electric energy different from kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential electric energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration. They are different forms of energy but can be converted into each other.

3. What are some examples of potential electric energy?

Some examples of potential electric energy include a charged battery, a compressed spring, a charged capacitor, and a raised object in a gravitational field.

4. How is potential electric energy used in everyday life?

Potential electric energy is used in everyday life in various ways. For example, it is used to power electronic devices, such as laptops and cell phones, through batteries. It is also used in hydroelectric power plants, where the potential energy of water is converted into kinetic energy to generate electricity.

5. How is potential electric energy related to electric fields?

Electric potential energy is related to electric fields as electric fields are responsible for the force that causes the movement of charges, thus changing their potential energy. The magnitude of electric potential energy depends on the strength of the electric field and the distance between the charges.