1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimate the hypotenuse of the triangle

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    Hi I just had a question on a quiz that asked to estimate the hypotenuse of triangle with given sides and a maximum error possibility. The two given sides were 5 and 12..i dont need an exact solution..but I was just wondering how to do it.

I Found the maximum Error that was possible and the said the the hypotenuse was 13+/-Error. Is this how to do it?

The max error was found using differentials.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assuming that you did in fact find "Error", then yes, the hypotenuse would be [itex]13\pm "Error"[/itex]. The point of the problem is, of course, to find "Error".
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  4. Jan 26, 2007 #3
    Yeah thats what I thought..But I didnt know if you were allowed to simply say the hypotenuse was 13..since finding that has nothing to do with differentials...I wasnt sure if there was actually a way to find the actual estimated length of it...without having to subtract the errror.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?