Estimate the magnitude of the torque the large loop exerts on the smaller one.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
IHave
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A small loop of wire of radius 1.5 cm is placed at the center of a wire loop with radius 20 cm. The planes of the loops are perpendicular to each other, and a 5.0 -A current flows in each. Estimate the magnitude of the torque the large loop exerts on the smaller one.


The Attempt at a Solution


I've pretty much started by finding the magnetic field at the center of the big loop. I'm not sure how to proceed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
IHave said:

Homework Statement


A small loop of wire of radius 1.5 cm is placed at the center of a wire loop with radius 20 cm. The planes of the loops are perpendicular to each other, and a 5.0 -A current flows in each. Estimate the magnitude of the torque the large loop exerts on the smaller one.

The Attempt at a Solution


I've pretty much started by finding the magnetic field at the center of the big loop. I'm not sure how to proceed.
That's the right way to start.

There should be a discussion of torque on a current loop in your physics textbook. It would be related to the magnetic moment and/or area of the smaller loop.