Magnetic Field at the center of a square loop

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of a square wire loop with 12 cm sides, carrying a clockwise current of 15.0 A. The four 1.30 mm wire segments at the midpoint of each side are to be taken into account. The correct calculation involves considering the contribution of each 1.30 mm segment instead of the entire wire segment. This results in a significantly lower magnetic field value.
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

A square wire loop 12.0 cm on each side carries a clockwise current of 15.0 A

Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at its center due to the four 1.30 −mm wire segments at the midpoint of each side.

Homework Equations

B = (μ0*I)/(4π)*(2a)/(x√(x^2+a^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation for magnetic field at the center of the square loop due to one wire and then multiplied it by 4 since the contribution due to each wire segment is the same by symmetry.

B = 4*(4π*10^-7*15)/(4π)*(2*0.06)/(0.06*√(0.06^2+0.06^2))

B = 1.41*10^-4 T

This answer is wrong and I don't know why

Physics news on Phys.org
Elvis 123456789 said:
Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at its center due to the four 1.30 −mm wire segments at the midpoint of each side
It looks to me you found the magnetic field at its center due to the four whole 12 cm wire sides. What about these strange 1.3 mm segments ?

BvU said:
It looks to me you found the magnetic field at its center due to the four whle 12 cm wire sides. What about these strange 1.3 mm segments ?
I am actually not even certain what is meant by that part, I kinda just dismissed it as unnecessary information.

What if it is serious information ? You'd get almost a factor 100 less !
But I grant you that I too find it a weird way to formulate an exercise.

BvU said:
What if it is serious information ? You'd get almost a factor 100 less !
But I grant you that I too find it a weird way to formulate an exercise.
So instead of considering the contribution to the magnetic field due to each entire wire segment, am I only supposed to consider the contribution due to the middle 1.3mm piece of each segment? The question seems much more ambiguous to me now that you brought that to my attention.

That's what it says to me.

BvU said:
That's what it says to me.
Yes this was the case indeed, thanks for your help sir.

You're welcome :smile:

What is a magnetic field at the center of a square loop?

A magnetic field at the center of a square loop is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. This force is caused by the presence of a magnetic field, which is created by moving electric charges.

How is the magnetic field at the center of a square loop calculated?

The magnetic field at the center of a square loop can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2a, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, and a is the side length of the loop.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field at the center of a square loop?

The strength of the magnetic field at the center of a square loop is affected by the current flowing through the loop, the size of the loop, and the permeability of the surrounding medium.

What is the direction of the magnetic field at the center of a square loop?

The direction of the magnetic field at the center of a square loop is perpendicular to the plane of the loop and follows the right-hand rule, with the fingers pointing in the direction of the current and the thumb pointing in the direction of the magnetic field.

How can the magnetic field at the center of a square loop be used?

The magnetic field at the center of a square loop can be used in a variety of applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and magnetic sensors. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures.