Door closer spring and damping coefficients.

In summary, the speaker is designing a test rig for golf clubs at the University of Nottingham, but has a limited budget due to previous spending. They are considering using a door closer as a spring damper system, but are unsure of the damping coefficients. Attempts to contact manufacturers for information have been unsuccessful, and the speaker is looking for help in determining the values. A suggestion is made to test the units currently in use at the institution's hallway for more accurate data.
nottsgroup
I am designing a test rig for golf clubs at the university of nottinghamm, and due to a large spending spree, don't have much of my budget left. As a result of which, I was hoping to use a door closer as a spring damper system.

Does anyone have any idea of rough values of the damping coefficients of these devices, the spring constants seem to be somewhere in the range of 5-20 N.M/rad. We have tried emailing and ringing manufacturers but they all think that we are trying to use the data for industrial espionage and tell us to buy some units and put them in test rig. This is quite impractical and time consuming. Anyone able to help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you test some of the units that are in service right there in your institution? Just move your test rig into the hallway and conduct your test. There is nothing like real data that you measure yourself.

1. What is a door closer spring?

A door closer spring is a mechanical device that is used to automatically close a door after it has been opened. It is typically installed on the top of the door and is connected to the door frame and the door itself. When the door is opened, the spring is compressed, and when the door is released, the spring forces it back to its closed position.

2. How does a door closer spring work?

A door closer spring works by using the principle of spring tension. When the door is opened, the spring is compressed, storing potential energy. When the door is released, the spring releases this energy, causing the door to close. The amount of force exerted by the spring can be adjusted by changing the tension on the spring or by adjusting the damping coefficient.

3. What is the damping coefficient of a door closer spring?

The damping coefficient of a door closer spring is a measure of how much resistance the spring provides as the door is being closed. A higher damping coefficient means that the spring will provide more resistance, causing the door to close slower. A lower damping coefficient means that the spring will have less resistance, allowing the door to close faster.

4. How do I choose the right door closer spring for my door?

Choosing the right door closer spring depends on several factors, including the weight and size of the door, the type of door (e.g. interior or exterior), and the desired closing speed. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to ensure that the door closer spring is suitable for your specific door.

5. Why is it important to have a properly functioning door closer spring?

A properly functioning door closer spring is essential for safety and convenience. It ensures that the door will close securely after it has been opened, preventing accidents and potential damage. It also helps to regulate the temperature and airflow in a building, as a closed door can help to maintain a consistent environment. Additionally, a malfunctioning door closer spring can cause unnecessary wear and tear on the door and its hardware, leading to costly repairs in the future.