EU MSc application without prior research

In summary, if I go without prior research experience I might be in direct contest with locals with much more research experience than me. However, I have better than average computer skills, scientific knowledge, and algebra skills, which may give me a leg up.
zivo
I'm right now in Senior year in a bad school ( I mean ranking 1k+, actually best in country so I have an excuse ), with good GPA ( about 3.25 equivalent ) considering applying for grad school in EU in nuclear/high energy physics. However I'm from a not so good university undergrad research isn't heard of, so if I go without prior research experience I might be in direct contest with locals with much more research experience than me. But I'm considering "pushing" it with the profs ( Who I admit are very open ) to get internship/small research going.

What I do however have is better than average -compared to EU student- computer knowledge, as I can code with 2(3?) languages: Python C/C++, Python with which I made some course helping programs earlier last year ( code that basically does my homework ) and have experience with scientific packages ( Scipy,Numpy,Sympy mostly ) and Data analysis ( Pandas, Matplotlib,seaborn linmodels...etc ), even though my knowledge of C/C++ is almost exclusive to development of user software ( mostly games though :smile:, but knowledge of 3D should be very useful as I heard ), I can also use Linux systems effectively and managed a Linux server once for a week. + I'm good with Algebra ( I love it! ). I don't have any diplomas apart from Comptia A+/Security+/Linux+.

So if pushing the profs for research doesn't work, do I stand a chance at applying for grad school if I leverage my computer knowledge and how computer intensive the specialties are ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the requirements of the universities. If they accept you, finding a project for a master thesis shouldn't be too hard. An internship will certainly help. A summer student project would be interesting as well, but for this year it is too late.

zivo said:
What I do however have is better than average -compared to EU student-

On what basis do you make that claim?

"I am ever so much smarter than that guy over there" is very off-putting. I'm not sure it's even true in this case, and in any event, I don't think it will be a huge factor in admissions even if it were.

1. What is an EU MSc application without prior research?

An EU MSc application without prior research refers to a Master of Science (MSc) program in the European Union that does not require applicants to have previous research experience. This means that students can apply for the program without having completed any research projects or having published any research papers.

2. How is an EU MSc application without prior research different from a regular MSc application?

Unlike a regular MSc application, an EU MSc application without prior research does not require applicants to have previous research experience. This means that students who do not have any research experience can still apply for the program. However, other requirements such as academic qualifications and language proficiency may still apply.

3. What are the benefits of applying for an EU MSc program without prior research experience?

One of the main benefits of applying for an EU MSc program without prior research experience is that it allows students who do not have any research experience to pursue a Master of Science degree. This can be beneficial for students who wish to change their field of study or for those who want to explore a new area of research. Additionally, it can also save time and effort for students who do not have the opportunity to conduct research projects before applying for the program.

4. Are there any disadvantages to applying for an EU MSc program without prior research experience?

One potential disadvantage of applying for an EU MSc program without prior research experience is that it may limit the opportunities for students to participate in research projects during their studies. This could be a disadvantage for students who are interested in pursuing a career in research or for those who want to gain hands-on experience in their field of study. Additionally, some employers may prefer candidates with research experience, so this could be a disadvantage for students in the job market.

5. Can I still apply for an EU MSc program without prior research experience if I have a research background?

Yes, students with a research background can still apply for an EU MSc program without prior research experience. The program may still consider other factors such as academic qualifications, language proficiency, and relevant skills and experience. However, having a research background may be beneficial as it shows your interest and aptitude for research, which can strengthen your application.