Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Euclidean signature and compact gauge group

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I have been reading around that when performing the analytic continuation to Euclidean space ([itex]t\to-i\tau[/itex]) one also has to continue the gauge field ([itex]A_t\to iA_4[/itex]) in order to keep the gauge group compact.
    I already knew that the gauge field had to be continued as well but I didn't know anything about keeping the gauge group compact. Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2016 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe it has to do with keeping the representation of the gauge transformation unitary and finite dimensional.

4. Mar 8, 2016 #3
    Do you have any idea on how to show it or any source I could look at? Thanks for you reply!

5. Mar 8, 2016 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would guess any decent grad text on field theory might cover this. I don't know of one myself. I recall reading something on the complexification in Ryder's book "Quantum Field Theory" but I don't recall him speaking of justification. I don't recall Kaku addressing it directly in his book but I haven't peeked in his text in a while and didn't read it extensively when I last did. Maybe someone else has a suggestion?

6. Mar 9, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The point is that you entirely go from Minkowski space with a fundamental form of signature (1,3) (or (3,1) if you come from the east coast ;-)) to Euclidean space, i.e., the proper orthochronous Lorentz group is substituted by O(4). So all four-vectors become Euclidean vectors. The gauge group stays as it is, i.e., a compact Lie group.

7. Mar 10, 2016 #6
    Oh I see! Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted